Holi: Festival of Colors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Geneve Lau

Every year, to welcome spring, people gather all around the world gather to celebrate the Hindu festival, Holi. Also known as the Festival of Colors, the festivities last two days and are celebrated over the course of two days. 

The festival is split into two parts: Choti Holi and Holi. 

Choti Holi is the first part of the holiday, consisting of delicious food. “We cook lots of goat meat with curry or yogurt, and my mom makes malpua,” Anya Thakur (CAS ‘21) stated. 

Most people recognize the holiday by the throwing of colored powder or getting drenched in water. Holi is a time for people to spend time with friends, family members, and their communities. 

The celebration is the same throughout India but different states have their own style of dancing and singing. In Thakur’s native state, Bihar/Jharkhand, joke-telling is a common performance for Holi. 

Although Thakur has not personally celebrated Holi in India, she wants to sometime in the future. Back in her home in the Bay Area, she attends a Holi festival every year. Her mom makes traditional Indian food, and lots of Bollywood music is played at the celebration. 

BU is holding its own Holi festival on March 31st. Although the celebration is a little later than the true date of Holi, Thakur is still excited to celebrate on campus. “It’s a little piece of home,” she noted. 

Be sure to head on out for Holi on Saturday the 31st, at 1 pm! The event will be at Cummington Mall, and is free to attend, with free color released every 30 minutes! Wear white, bring your phone in a Ziploc bag, and be prepared for FUN!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.