Having an Off-Campus “Terrier”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I have a dog named Oliver and yes, he does live here in Boston with me. People always ask me how I do it, or if it is super time consuming, so I’ve decided to write a full-fledged pros and cons list for anyone out there who is toying with the idea of getting an off-campus dog.

The good:

Hands down, one of my favorite things about having a dog is that you always look forward to coming home to it. Whether your lecture gets out at 9 PM and you’re walking home in the rain without an umbrella, or you’re stumbling in the door after a late night party, there is always big ball of fluff eager to snuggle and lick your face upon your arrival. Trust me–you will rush home simply for those cuddles and kisses. When you’re in the middle of studying for midterms, can you think of a better break than playing catch or tug of war with your four-legged best friend? How about when you’re fighting with your friends or family and you just want to lie in bed and cry? The best company to have in those times of need is from a furry friend. They won’t pry, they won’t judge, and they only want to make you feel better. And ten times out of ten, they will. 

The bad:

Yes, having a dog entails a lot of work–if you consider walking around your neighborhood and putting food and water into a bowl a few times a day “work.” It eventually becomes part of your daily routine, so it really is not too much to handle. At the same time, you do have to free up your schedule more than you might if you didn’t have a pet, and you aren’t as readily available to pick up and sleep out all the time. This is, of course, if you are crashing at another pet-friendly apartment and you don’t mind carrying your pup on public transportation. Personally, I don’t mind doing this because people always swoon over Oliver and drown him in affection. In the heat of summer or the cold of winter, however, it can become tedious.

The bottom line:

Maybe I’m biased because my dog is as cute as can possibly be and I don’t mind staying in with him to the extent that other college students would, but I would say in full confidence that the good outweighs the bad. There are responsibilities that come with being a pet owner, but in exchange, you have a best friend who won’t ever let you down or stop loving you. As a junior, I find having a dog to be relaxing and an enjoyable part of my life. I highly recommend that any BU Terriers out there who have room in their hearts and their homes to adopt a little Terrier of their own should.

As a junior in the College of Communication at Boston University, my interest areas include anything from fashion to popular culture, traveling the globe to basic DIY tips, film/TV reviews to recipes, and more! I'm also addicted to drinking tea and reading Thought Catalog (simultaneously, of course), and I couldn't be more excited to be a member of the HerCampusBU writing team. I also have my own personal blog, The Jessica Chronicles, that is a member of the Her Campus Blogger Network. Happy reading!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.