This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For anyone who believes in love and listens to Top 40 radio, you’re very aware of Halsey and G-Eazy’s relationship. They’ve been together since August of last year, rubbing it in our faces on Instagram, going so far to even release Him and I together for his most recent album.

Photo Credit: RCA Records

With much dismay and heartbreak to both of their fans, the pair had called for a break and she announced it publicly on her Instagram on July 3, 2018. She was still touring worldwide for her Hopeless Fountain Kingdom album, and it was speculated that G-Eazy had cheated on her because she posted a cryptic tweet reading “Pumpkin eater,” possibly referring to the rhyme “Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.”

Either way, they got back together sometime in August or September, with Halsey posting cute pictures of them again, and showing off their worldwide love for her birthday in late September early October.

All of this would be fine and dandy if Halsey didn’t just drop a new song to be dissected by the masses. She’s been teasing her new song “Without Me” since about September 23rd, with this gorgeous album art.

Photo Credit: Halsey / Twitter

Contrary to her past album artwork, this single is particularly darker—literally and metaphorically. Anyway, the song was released on Thursday and I had it on repeat all day. My first thoughts were “this is so good” but also a train of “I’m so confused.”

In essence, she’s slandering G-Eazy for a seemingly large ego after she put him on a pedestal and then slightly confirms the cheating rumors when she sings “You don’t have to say just what you did/I already know/I had to go and find out from them.”

She also hints that he was the reason for the reconciliation, saying “Does it ever get lonely?/ Thinking you could live without me.” This is so important to note because less than a month ago she told paparazzi that getting back with an ex is a bad idea!

All of this is confusing if I’m being honest. I texted my Halsey stan bestie to ask her what she thinks and she said, “It’s definitely a bop, but so strange to release a song like that when you got back together.”

Either way, “Without Me” is a bop. It provokes strong emotions—empowerment, tears, anger. Anyone who’s gotten back with an ex can relate to it. I’ve just got so many questions, like how does G-Eazy feel about it? Are we okay with this relationship now? Especially since Halsey said she cried the whole time she recorded this?

Stream “Without Me” on Spotify, Apple Music, or Tidal and let me know what you think of this whole situation.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jericha is a senior at Boston University studying Psychology and Public Health. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, especially country and worships Taylor Swift and the band Joseph. She enjoys food and thinks avocados are too small for how expensive they are. When school is out of session, you can find her skillfully avoiding sunshine - working at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.