Wellness > Health

A Guide to Kombucha for Those too Scared to Try It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let’s talk about the new, healthy elephant in the room: Kombucha. I know you’ve heard of it, and the fact that you’re reading this probably means you’ve never tried it before, but it’s making you curious. I’m here to reassure you, and also excite you! You should NOT be worried about trying kombucha, which is a fermented tea with various health properties. Though people are typically on the fence about the taste of kombucha, I’m here to defend the controversial drink choice. In fact, get ready for the best drink of your year. AND, even better, get ready to drink the healthiest liquid your gut will ever ingest.

For the person just starting out…

Try HealthAde’s Pink Lady Apple! This is sweet, fruity, and refreshing. It’s a great way to start your kombucha journey. I do, however, hesitate to recommend it, only because HealthAde IS one of the most expensive kombucha brands on the market, at almost $5 a bottle.

For the person who doesn’t want a lot of flavor, but is still nervous…

HealthAde again! This time, the original. I’m such a big fan of their drinks, but the only things that halt my enthusiasm are the price and the small amount of added cane sugar. However, this unflavored kombucha is less sweet than Pink Lady Apple, but is still refreshing, and is obviously still beneficial for you.

For the person ready to get a little adventurous…

For true kombucha lovers, GT’s is a beloved brand, and Trilogy is the most coveted flavor. It’s so hard to describe, but it’s still fruity but packs a more powerful, potent punch. It’s less expensive than HealthAde and is without all the added sugar.

For the person who likes a kick to it…

GT’s again. Gingerade is one of my favorite flavors, mainly because I have stomach issues about once a week, and ginger helps with that so much. However, ginger ale is full of sugars and additives, so I love drinking GT’s Gingerade Kombucha to get the same benefits, but without all the additives.

Finally, for the person looking for a sparkling lemonade alternative…

KeVita is marketed as a sparkling probiotic drink but is essentially kombucha. The lemon ginger flavor tastes like a spicier, tarter version of sparkling lemonade. And, of course, it’s a probiotic. It’s good for you!

I hope this guide is helpful for you in your quest to fall in love with the amazing beverage that is kombucha. If I’ve missed your favorite flavor, send me an email at swoan@bu.edu. I’m always looking to try new flavors of ‘booch.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sophie is a freshman from Chicago—the city, NOT the suburbs—majoring in Public Relations at Boston University. She'll probably make you feel like you're the world's greatest comedian because she tends to laugh at anything anyone says. When she's not writing for HC, you can find her at SoulCycle, watching The Bachelor, or eating chocolate chip cookies.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.