This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m not the biggest fan of changing seasons, mostly due to the fact that I detest the cold, but autumn is undeniably magical. This is especially true about the Hudson Valley in New York, which is where I’m from.

Photo Credit: Pinterest

As a kid, nothing was more exciting than watching the leaves change colors. I wasn’t as uptight as I am now and loved getting dirty. Towards the end of the season, when my parents would attempt to rake up the leaves, I insisted on jumping into the piles they had neatly created. I could usually get a few really good jumps in before I got shooed away. There’s a home video my grandma used to have of my grandpa, who passed away when I was younger, laughing and holding me as we jumped into leaves together. It was one of my favorite memories of him.

Photo Credit: Mohonk Mountain House

Another fall activity that I’ve done forever is going to a farm to pick apples. When I was young, I would climb up the apple trees (even though you’re not supposed to) because the best apples are always at the top. Now, I’m a lot taller so I don’t have to put in that much work to get the good ones. After spending a day finding the perfect apples, my mom and I would bring them home and bake an autumn dessert or drive to my grandma’s house to share them with her. 

Photo Credit: Hudson Valley Magazine

There’s a sweet spot in autumn, about three or so weeks in, where the foliage is picture-perfect. I live near Mohonk Mountain House, an iconic destination for hiking and beautiful views, and during that sweet spot, it looks like something out of a storybook. There’s a hairpin turn going up the mountain that I’ve grown to love. I’ve been to many beautiful parts of the country, but nothing has topped that drive.  Photo Credit: Mohonk Mountain House Instagram

This is the first year I won’t be coming home until Thanksgiving. I don’t really have the time to go apple picking with friends and I don’t have a car to drive, so I’m missing those fall activities more than usual this time around. Luckily, my mom is coming up to see me and is bringing pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, our favorite fall dessert. When I still lived at home, I knew fall was in full swing when my mom whipped out the infamous cookie recipe. It’s the ultimate comfort food, and I can’t wait to have a taste of home here in Boston.

Photo Credit: Chelsea’s Messy Apron Blog

I’ve grown to love my hometown more since beginning college, but autumn makes me especially sentimental. I’m lucky to have somewhere so beautiful to return to.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Kiana is a junior in COM double-majoring in Film and TV and Advertising. She loves sesame bagels, making playlists, and going to movie theaters. You can probably find her binge-watching some HBO series or listening to podcasts while walking down Comm Ave.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.