This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In today’s ever-changing world, there are so many activities and incidents occurring around us that we often forget to stop and reflect on life. In this busy life, each and every one of us has one thing that comforts us and makes us feel at home. For some, it’s a sport that relaxes their nerves and calms them. Whereas, for some it’s playing tunes on a guitar and obtaining a nostalgic feeling.  For me, art has always been a safe haven. Picking up a paintbrush and palette has always proved to be soothing for me whenever stress builds up in my everyday routine.

When one thinks of art, one thinks of a museum. The wide varieties of museums in cities around the world serve as an access to an array of artworks. Today, there are museums around the world with massive collections of art ranging from antique to modern. From statues to portraits to sculptures, a museum is considered to be an art lover’s paradise.

However, apart from accumulated art in monumental museums, people forget the easily accessible street art that is at our disposal every day. Unlike a museum, it does not have particular hours where we can go and view the artworks; it’s open 24 hours of a day for whoever wants to be around art.

This article serves as a tiny guide to the graffiti art around the world.

Graffiti Art in India

India is a country with distinct cultures and a rich history. With ornamental palaces and cozy art galleries in almost every city, the Indian culture holds a rich artistic value. From temples to museums, India possesses a wide variety of art.

Art In Rajasthan, India — The city of Udaipur in Rajasthan is known as the Lake City of India. With an enriching royal history, Udaipur is famous for its palaces and lakes. However, when I visited Udaipur, I was intrigued to see the tiny streets covered with perplexing visuals of graffiti art. Each of the artworks held interesting meanings behind them.

Art In Gujarat, India — The city of Ahmedabad in Gujarat is my hometown. In 2010, a huge project was carried out in my city to decorate the walls on the streets with artworks depicting strong messages about important issues such as equality, freedom, women’s rights and environmental concerns.

The baffling thing is that graffiti art exists in each and every nook and corner of the world. During Thanksgiving break, I visited NYC with my best friends. While we strolled aimlessly around the cold streets, I came across beautiful street art.

The most intriguing aspect about street art is that it portrays messages and emotions that people experience. It is not something created by Pablo Picasso, however, it urges you to look at the deeper meaning and truly reflect on it.​ I hope this article urges you to go and explore the beautiful art around you not only in the museums, but on the streets you pass everyday.

Hey! My name is Riya Haria and I'm from India. I am currently a freshman studying Journalism at the College of Communication. My hobbies include photography, exploring and listening to music. I am thrilled to be a part of Her Campus and cannot wait to express my thoughts and opinions with all of you! x
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.