Photo of Gracie Davenport
Photo of Gracie Davenport
Photo by Caitlin Beal
Career

Gracie Davenport Looks To Turn Passion For Sports Into Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Gracie Davenport is a sophomore at Boston University looking to pursue a career in the primarily male-dominated industry of sports media. A Rockford IL native, she surrounded herself with hockey growing up, and through her clubs at BU, found a love for the industry. She is now hoping to turn this passion into a career.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Her Campus: How did you first become interested in hockey?

Grace Davenport: I grew up with a professional hockey team in my hometown (the Rockford IceHogs), so I naturally became a fan of the sport. My parents had season tickets and brought us to many games growing up. I love how fast-paced and intense hockey is. It creates a unique environment that always keeps you on the edge of your seat.

HC: At what moment did you realize that hockey might be something you wanted to pursue in your career?

GD: When applying to colleges, I was still unsure of what I wanted to do in life. I realized then how much time I already spent watching and consuming sports. So, I figured, why not turn my passion into something more?

HC: When you got to BU, what clubs did you get involved in to explore this passion further? Was it hard or daunting to do so?

GD: I got involved in clubs such as WTBU, the Daily Free Press, BUTV10, BU Athletics, and BU Sports Business Club. Although BU makes it super easy to get involved with clubs through events like Splash, it was still very nerve-wracking – especially since it was my first time covering sports.

I was the only freshman who covered the men’s hockey team. I was terrified at first, but I’m thankful I stuck with it. I wouldn’t have gotten the experiences I did at the end of the season if I hadn’t taken the initiative.

Hockey action shots
Photo by Gracie Davenport

HC: Going into your second year of college, what clubs are you involved in now?

GD: I’m involved in many student organizations, but my main commitment is being one of four members of The Daily Free Press’ Boston Hockey Blog. We provide full coverage of all things BU hockey. We cover every men’s and women’s game on the ground, post daily updates on Twitter and Instagram, take photos, and host a weekly podcast with player and coach interviews.

As well, I am the field hockey editor for WTBU Sports, I write for The Daily Free Press Sports section, I am the social media coordinator for BU Sports Business Club, I am treasurer for the International Adoptee Club, and I am an account executive for BU AdClub.

HC: How do you balance all of these roles on top of being a full-time student?

GD: I don’t always have the healthiest balance between extracurriculars and classes, but I am huge on planning. I have a busy schedule, but carefully planning everything helps mesh my plans together well.

HC: What motivates you to keep doing all of your hockey-related activities when you feel overwhelmed by everything on your plate?

GD: BU has one of the most renowned hockey programs in all of college hockey. The environment the team creates presents a new surprise for me every day! I’m so fortunate for all of the amazing people I’ve met, and experiences I’ve had. It’s hard to feel unmotivated when I spend every weekend with some of the best people in the business.

HC: Did you have any key mentors who have guided you in your work?

GD: Some BU student media members whom I’m thankful for are Stevie Potter (COM ‘25) and Belle Fraser (COM ‘24). As fellow hockey lovers and women in sports, these two have supported me so much and motivated me every day.

HC: Now for some fun questions! Let’s talk about some of your favorite experiences you’ve had so far. What’s your favorite piece you’ve gotten to write?

GD: My favorite piece that I’ve written intertwined two of my favorite things: the Chicago Blackhawks and BU hockey. This story featured interviews with NBC Chicago Analyst and past Terrier Colby Cohen, BU Head Coach Jay Pandolfo, and Chicago Blackhawks prospects Alex Vlasic, Drew Commesso, and Ryan Greene. Being a huge Blackhawks fan, I am lucky to have watched so many future Blackhawks stars develop skills on my college hockey team.

HC: What has been your favorite moment covering BU hockey?

GD: My favorite experience so far has either been getting to cover the 2023 Hockey East Championship at TD Garden —because BU won, of course — or getting to be in Tampa for the 2023 NCAA Frozen Four. Tampa was surreal. Being around so much talent, on and off the ice, I was starstruck walking around the arena the entire weekend.

hockey action photo
Photo by Gracie Davenport

HC: Now, a bit about your future. Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

GD: I think about this question all the time, and it’s so hard to say, but the dream would be to work in media for an NHL organization.

HC: Finally, since sports media is a male-dominated industry, I wanted to ask you some questions about your experience as a woman within sports media. Have you experienced any prejudice for being a woman in sports?

GD: Luckily, BU has a ton of women driving their student media sports coverage, so I feel very fortunate. However, I have seen a lot of them face the usual, tired stereotypes. Typically, it’s little remarks, such as men saying, “Wow, you really know your stuff.” It’s truly mind-blowing how some people can’t believe that women can enjoy sports on the same level as men.

HC: What advice would you give to women who are looking to enter the sports media industry?

GD: Every day is going to be a challenge, but never let that deter you from chasing your dreams. Obviously, it’s cliche, but you can truly achieve whatever you put your mind to — even if it feels uncomfortable at times.

Gracie Davenport’s story should be an inspiration to us all to keep following our dreams – you’ll never know where they will take you!

My name is Sophia and I'm a sophomore studying advertising at Boston University. I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio, but I love the city of Boston! I'm on the marketing and PR team at the Boston University Her Campus chapter. My favorite pieces to write cover topics such as entertainment and profiles. At Boston University, I am also involved in AdClub, where I'm a copywriter, and the International Peer Mentor Program, where I mentor incoming international freshmen. I'm very passionate about getting involved in activities on and off campus! My passions in life include from music, reading, sports, and movies. I read at least 100 pages of a book everyday; you will never see me without a book in my bag. I also am an avid Letterboxd user; there's nothing better than reviewing a movie after I finish it! Additionally, music is a huge part of my life. I'm constantly listening to new music and I love going to concerts. If I'm not doing any of these things, I'm probably watching a Cleveland sports game.