This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For my final year in Her Campus, I wanted to bring back my favorite article series I’ve done: Grace’s New Music Friday Roundup. For these articles, I listen to the entirety of Spotify’s “New Music Friday” playlist and rank my top 10 favorites. Keep reading to find some new music for your own playlists and learn about emerging artists. 

Oh Caroline: The 1975

Although I’m usually a big fan of The 1975, I have not been wowed by any of their recent releases. However, this song has a feel-good vibe to it and reminds me of their older discography. This track was written by Matthew Healy, George Daniel, Jamie Squire, Ilsey, Benjamin Francis Leftwich, and Jimmy Hogarth.

October Passed Me By: girl in red

girl in red’s music is perfect for any sad girl autumn playlist, and her newest release is no exception. This song was written by Aaron Dessner & ​girl in red.

August – Recorded at Electric Lady Studio: MUNA 

This female pop-band did their own darker twist on “August,” which is originally a Taylor Swift song off her album folklore. This is the perfect listen to prepare for Swift’s new album release this week. 

Waiting: Bailey Zimmerman 

For any country fans, this song was by far the best of the country songs on this week’s playlist. This track was written by Bailey Zimmerman, Austin Shawn, and Gavin Lucas.

Showed Me (How I Fell in Love With You): Madison Beer 

Madison Beer’s music is incredibly underrated. While this is not my favorite of her songs, it still has her usual sound. This song was written by Madison Beer, Big Taste, Gene Clark, Jim McGuinn, Kinetics, and One Love.

The Drummer: Red Hot Chili Peppers 

If you have never listened to this classic band before, this new release is the perfect opportunity to get exposed to their music. This track was written by Anthony Kiedis, John Frusciante, Flea, and Chad Smith.

what’s the matter with you: Lexi Jayde 

I am always a fan of a great sad girl artist, and Lexi Jayde has what it takes to be an emerging sad girl artist. Additionally, this particular track has FINNEAS’s musical genius behind it — making the lyrics and production some of the best on this week’s list. This song was written by FINNEAS and Lexi Jayde.

Alive (feat. The Moth & The Flame): Kx5, deadmau5, Kaskade, The Moth & The Flame 

I am a big fan of anything that The Moth & The Flame creates, and this techno song is no exception. This track was written by Brandon Robbins, Finn Bjarnson, ​deadmau5, Nate Pyfer, Kaskade, Steven Mits, and Thomas Shaw.

WANNABE: nicole han 

I had never heard of nicole han before listening to this song. After hearing this upbeat track, she is one of my new favorite up-and-coming female artists. This song was written by nicole han.

F*** You Matthew: NERIAH

TikTok has become an incredibly useful outlet for aspiring artists to showcase their craft. This angsty song went viral at the end of summer, and was officially released this week. If you are looking for an angry breakup anthem, this is the song for you. This track was written by NERIAH, Jeremy Hatcher, and Zach Palmer.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my favorite songs from Spotify’s New Music Friday playlist. Read my next article to see what songs I put into next week’s ranking.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace is a sophomore at Boston University. She is studying Public Relations with a minor in Anthropology. Grace is originally from Raleigh, North Carolina.