Globally Inspired Fashion or Global Fashion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I think “globally inspired fashion” the first thing that comes to mind is a girl in a beret, a stripped shirt, cigarette pants and a baguette. Or a girl in a sparkly two-piece at Carnival. Or a girl in rain boots and a trench coat getting on a red double-decker bus. But is this really globally inspired? Maybe I’ve had one too many anthropology classes (which is impossible because I’ve only taken one) but it seems to me our idea of “globally inspired” is through our domestic, American eyes. 

Although it might take some extra digging, finding conscious, locally made, or charitable global fashion is easier than ever with the world wide web. Here are some awesome example of not just globally inspired fashion, but global fashion!

My Asho: Named for the Yoruba word for cloth, “aso,” this online store was created in 2009 to promote the talent of African designers by working with local markets throughout African to create distinctive African designs. Their pieces are handcrafted and one of a kind–and they ship to the U.S. of course!

Serengetee: All of Serengetee’s tops look similar: they are plain with a single pocket on the right hand side. However, this pocket is significant. Each pocket is designed and created by different fabric makers from different countries. These patterns are then teamed up with a cause from the same area of the globe. Thirteen percent of every purchase goes right back to the cause and the country associated with the pattern.

Beyond Buckskin Boutique: Not even a year old, Beyond Buckskin Boutique is a Native American-operated online store specializing in Native-made fashion. It is an off-shoot of Beyond Buckskin, a blog dedicated to Native American fashion and discussing critical issues in the fashion, especially cultural misappropriation in the fashion industry (tisk tisk Urban Outfitters). 

Of course, you could also visit these countries to find their best (and authentic!) looks: If you are looking for a major shopping spree, trying doing a tour like Contiki, to hit multiple countries in one trip and have money left over for shopping!

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."