Style

Get Ready for Picnic Season With These 6 Spring Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the forecasts predict sunny, warmer days ahead, it’s time to put away those wintery layers and bring out your bright and airy spring pieces. Dresses are the ultimate springtime clothing item for a number of reasons. For starters, they are incredibly versatile. Throw one on with a jean jacket and some sneakers for a casual park stroll or with a light cardigan and some strappy sandals for Sunday brunch. Dresses are also essentially an entire outfit on their own, so they’re perfect to put on when you’re in a rush. From midi-length to mini dresses, there is something for everyone’s style taste. They’re cute, comfy, and always make you look so put together even if you only had 5 minutes to get ready. If you’re looking to add a few new additions to your spring wardrobe, check out these six dresses perfect for sun-soaked afternoons.

Credit: Urban Outfitters

This short, but sweet, number is the sundress-equivalent of a breath of fresh air. Its curve-hugging bodice and trendy puffy sleeves are sure to fulfill your bohemian daydreams. The delicate floral print and flared skirt also give this dress a nice fluttery feel.

Credit: H&M

Sometimes gingham can look a little too much like a picnic blanket, but this black and white take on this classic print feels sophisticated and chic. If you’re not into florals, but still want to spice up your closet with a fun spring pattern, then this dress should do the trick. You can style it with some platform oxford loafers, if you want to be a little edgier, or keep things fun and flirty with some neutral sandals.

Credit: Reformation

At this point, Reformation has become synonymous with designing the cutest (and most sustainable) sundresses on the market. The brand just released an extended sizes line, which includes this saucy midi-length floral print wrap dress with a high slit. You should probably click “add to cart” soon since garden party season is upon us and this dress is definitely set to be a sell-out.

Credit: Aritzia

70s-inspired fashion is having a moment right now and this button-front mini dress is here to keep the trend going. The slightly fitted bodice of this dress will give your waist a little love by emphasizing your curves, and the bright yellow color of the fabric will make you look like a ray of sunshine. Alexa, play “Pocket Full of Sunshine” by Natasha Bedingfield! :)

Credit: Free People

The classic t-shirt dress gets a refreshing update with this coastal blue piece from Free People. The cinched waist provided by the built-in belt will definitely flatter your figure while the t-shirt sleeves make this dress extra comfy.

Credit: Zara

For a fast fashion brand, Zara always seems to put an original spin on some of the trendiest designs. The quirky cherry print on this classic skater dress makes this piece stand out from the crowd. The fit-and-flair cut and v-neckline also give this dress a little bit of spunk. And better yet, this dress will perfectly transition into the summer season!

With the sun shining a little brighter and the temperatures rising a little higher, it’s about time you start dressing a little lighter! Wearing any one of these adorable dresses will definitely make you feel joy and splendor of the loveliest time of the year when the flowers start to bloom and the air is perfectly crisp. Go ahead and break out the picnic blankets, your favorite pair of sunglasses, and of course, any one of these dresses, because spring is finally here!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma is a senior at BU studying Journalism and Gender and Women's Studies in the College of Communications. She's originally from sunny Los Angeles, California. She is an avid fan of local bakeries and making oddly specific Spotify playlists.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.