This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

“Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.” – Leslie Knope

You know Valentine’s Day, the most romantic day of the year  But what about its cool, fun and platonic cousin, Galentine’s Day? Yes, this is a thing. It started on NBC’s Parks & Recreation, where Amy Poehler’s character Leslie Knope celebrates this most sacred day, February 13, with her closest girlfriends. They have brunch, give each other gifts, and just generally celebrate their friendships with each other. And three years later, Galentine’s Day has swept the nation. Or, at least…my dorm room. The day before Valentine’s Day last year, my friends and I treated each other to some cards and chocolates. This year, we’ll be celebrating at Max Brenner (hello, reason enough to love this holiday).

When you think about it, it’s kind of an awesome idea. While we all love and appreciate our friends, there’s no specific day for us to thank them and appreciate them. They’re just as loyal, if not more (actually definitely more), as a boyfriend, with the special addition of being more fun to shop with. Why shouldn’t we take the time to thank them for always being there for us?

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.