The Four Things to Know to Stay on Trend this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Electric Color:
Every season welcomes a new color palette. Last spring, it was Easter pastels. This fall, it was merlot, jade and cobalt blue. And this spring, anything goes since electric colors are in! Designers aren’t afraid to make outfits pop with statement colors such as: sunny yellow, hot pink, tangerine and emerald green. Although I think it’s a bit extreme to wear these colors from head-to-toe, I do think they can make any outfit standout. And for females who don’t like to wear a lot of color: try accessorizing with a necklace, earrings, purse or belt in one of these hues!

Black & White:
This year, designers put the emphasis on strong black-and-white looks, which are appropriate to wear year-round. I’ve always been a fan of the black and white combo since it’s strong and bold and can be worn at the office or on a date night. What female doesn’t love to pair her crisp white oxford with a black mini leather skirt? It’s classic, sophisticated and never goes out of style.

Short Suits:
In the fall, we saw a ton of patterned and print pantsuits on dozens of runways in New York. So, it should come as no surprise that short suits are now in this spring season too. Short suits are the perfect blend of masculinity and femininity. We can be versatile and office-appropriate, but also show off our legs by pairing our suits with a colorful pump. While I do think some prints and patterns can make these suits too edgy, I’m a huge fan of a navy or black and white suit to be simple and chic.

Pointy, Strappy Heels:
If there’s one trend I’ve followed for the past year—it’s wearing both bold and pastel-colored heels to dress up any outfit. However, this spring isn’t about platform pumps or six-inch heels. Instead, designers have toned it down by returning to wearable, everyday heels that won’t leave our feet with blisters. And strappy heels are perfect for females who want to show off their legs. They are feminine, sexy and can make anyone’s pins look slimmer.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.