diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

FOMO and Putting Yourself Out There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

On FOMO and Putting Yourself Out There

Why hello! Long time, no advice column! I’m back this week to talk about the dreaded FOMO, or Fear of Missing Out. Let’s get into it, shall we?

I remember one weekend when I called my mom — I was pretty upset. When she asked what was wrong, I honestly had no idea what the issue was. I remember tearfully getting out the words that I wasn’t going out that particular weekend. “Well do you want to go out this weekend?” she asked me.

I didn’t. I actually had stuff to do. I had a list of things I needed to get done, things I wanted to do for myself. Yet for some reason, I was upset.

Then I realized, I had FOMO.

When I was in high school, I stayed in a lot and I didn’t mind at all. There’s something about college culture and the stigma it creates, that every weekend you need to be out and about or you’re missing out on experiences.

Now, I’m not saying to stay in your room all day every day. Boston has so much to offer that you need to explore! Instead, you have to pick the activities and social events that make you the happiest to attend.

Last Sundays with Margo, I talked about decision making. Ultimately, it’s the plans that resonate the most with yourself that will allow you to feel the best.

Don’t be too hard on yourself! College is a time where everyone is in the same boat. We’re all in a new environment, away from home, surrounded by new people. Everyone is in a position of vulnerability when it comes to making friends and living new experiences.

That being said, if you’re feeling the FOMO vibe a little too much, act on it! Put yourself out there, talk to somebody new, make new friends. You have nothing to lose. If the people you try to meet don’t respond well, they aren’t worth your time in the first place.

You are the change in your life that you wish to see!

Until Next Sunday,

Margo

Margo Ghertner is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Boston University. When the Nashville-native isn't writing and helping the other HCBU teams execute their projects, you can find her listening to business podcasts, baking, reading, and spending time with her friends.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.