Flashback Friday: Top 10 Disney Original Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Of course we all love Disney’s mega-hits like High School Musical (because let’s be honest, that’s where our love for Zac Efron began), but some of Disney’s best movies were the lesser known made-for-TV movies we all remember watching on Friday and Saturday nights.  So we picked the top 10 best Disney Channel Original Movies, which are sure to make you nostalgic about your childhood!  

1. Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (1999) + Zenon: The Zequel (2001)+ Zenon: Z3 (2004) 

While we may not be living in space in the year 2049, we all loved Zenon and her futuristic style. And who didn’t love the song “Supernova Girl?” 

2. The Thirteenth Year (1999) 

Okay, so who else was a little disappointed when they didn’t turn into a mermaid on their 13th birthday? 

3. Smart House (1999)    

Forget smart phones! When this movie came out, every kid wanted their own “smart house.” That is, until the smart house held the family hostage. So, on second thought, maybe the iPhone is the way to go.   

4. Phantom on the Megaplex (2000)  

In the spirt of Halloween, we had to pick at least one of Disney’s spooky classics.  A modern take on The Phantom of the Opera, Phantom of the Megaplex was a mysterious favorite.  

5. The Luck of the Irish (2001)  

The Luck of the Irish is a perfect St. Patrick’s day movie, filled with leprechauns, rainbows, and even the pot of gold.  

6. Cadet Kelly (2002)   

We already loved Hilary Duff from the Lizzie McGuire Show, so of course we were excited to see her character adapt to the life of military school— and look fabulous while doing it, might we add!

7. Get A Clue (2002)  

We all miss young Lindsay Lohan, from Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, Freaky Friday, Life Size, The Parent Trap, Herbie Fully Loaded, and who could forget, Mean Girls.  But we especially loved her inquisitive character in Get A Clue, as she solves a mystery, while dressed in her enviable upscale Manhattan wardrobe.  

8. Gotta Kick It Up (2002)  

Gotta Kick It Up was filled with the amazing dance moves and cheers we love from the Bring It On movies, but gave us the inspirational mantra, “Sí se puede!” (Yes we can!”) 

9. Go Figure (2005)  

Another one of Disney’s inspirational movies, Go Figure featured a figure skater willing to do anything to pursue her passion, even if it meant learning to play hockey just to stay on the ice.  

10. Stuck in the Suburbs (2004) 

This movie was every girl’s dream come true: accidently switching phones with your favorite singer, only to get a private concert from him as a thank you.  Watching this Disney flick, we were all crushing on Taran Killam’s celebrity character Jordan Cahill. 

Now that we’ve remembered all our favorite Disney classics, we’re hoping they start bringing these movies back, because all us 90’s kids out there would be sure to tune in!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis