This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

True-crime shows are one of my guilty pleasures, and I know there are others like me out there! Whether you consider yourself to be slightly interested, or fully identify as a true crime aficionado these shows will not disappoint! 

The Keepers 

This chilling documentary series investigates the death of Sister Cathy Cesnik a nun working at a Catholic girls school in Baltimore, Maryland. Cesnik’s murder was never solved and years later two of her past students well into their adulthood decide they need to figure out what happened to sister Cathy all those years ago. Their investigation leads to chilling revelations and discoveries about the Catholic Church in Baltimore and exposes abuse within the Catholic school where Cesnik taught.

The Staircase

This docu-series is a true crime classic that originally aired in 2004. Michael Peterson is accused of murdering his wife; he claims he’s innocent, but the evidence is stacked against him. The series was revived in 2018 by Netflix, giving audiences an update on the prolific case. Whether Michael did it or not is a hot topic of debate within the true-crime community, so grab a friend and see if you agree on whether he’s guilty or not.

The Innocent Man

After a horrible murder a local man confesses to the crime, however, years later after a second woman is murdered, we soon learn he may not have been involved at all. This documentary series turns from a typical investigative story about crime and justice to a strong evaluation of coercive interrogation tactics and small-town politics. This docu-series is thrilling until the end with twists you won’t believe!

Mindhunter

This show is a fictional adaptation about John Douglas’s work with the Behavioral Sciences Unit in the FBI. Agents Holden Ford and Bill Tench travel across the country and interview the most notorious criminals. They have the goal of learning how to create psychological profiles of killers to aid in the apprehension of criminals and to prevent violent crimes like murder from occurring at all. While the show is an adaptation, it features chilling impressions of prolific criminals like Ed Kemper, David Berkowtiz, and Charles Manson. If you’re into the psychology of a killer, this show is a must-see!

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

This is an adaptation on the true story of serial killer Andrew Cunanan. While the title emphasizes Versace’s assassination, Cunanan’s last murder, the show explores his entire killing spree. Cunanan was a charming sociopath successfully manipulating his way into a life of luxury, but when Cunanan’s lies catch up with him, he cracks. He spirals out of control until he eventually murders Versace, his idol.

Grab a snack and a friend and get watching! These shows will not disappoint!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jillian is a senior studying English Literature at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.