Five Graphic Novels You Need to Check Out Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For many people, when they hear the words “graphic novel” they associate the words to drawings with basic dialogue and no depth. But in reality, graphic novels are so much more than that. The visual and literary aspects of these books work together to create powerful compelling stories. With elements like visual symbolism and quirky sound effects, graphic novels have the power to immerse readers in the story. Here are five graphic novels that are worth a read.

1. Check, Please!: #Hockey by Ngozi Ukazu

Whether you’re a die-hard member of the Dog Pound or just confused about the hype for the Beanpot, Check, Please!: #Hockey will give you a reason to love hockey. The book follows former junior skating champion and baking enthusiast Eric Bittle, aka “Bitty,” as he starts his college hockey career at the fictional Samwell University. From battling his fear of checking to dealing with his brooding hockey captain, Bitty’s adventures will make you laugh, cry, and fall in love with the Samwell Men’s Hockey Team.

2. Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Penelope Bagieu

Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World is a fun colorful anthology of women throughout history. With a lineup featuring women like a bearded lady and an up-and-coming female Muslim rapper, Bagieu introduces readers to women whose amazing stories are often left untold and forgotten. This book is packed with jokes, inspiring quotes, and, best of all, a diverse cast of strong female figures. I mean, what is there not to love about some strong independent women?

3. The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui

If you’re looking for a heartwarming tearjerker, The Best We Could Do is the one. Bui tells the story of her family’s escape from a war-torn Vietnam to America. Don’t be fooled by the premise, as the book is more than just another book about the Vietnam War. Bui weaves together memories from the past and present not only to give a personal and emotional account of the war but also to raise awareness of the harrowing effects of war. Her simplistic art style strengthens the emotional impact, immersing the reader in the wave of emotions and love that surrounded Bui’s family as they tried to find a way to a better life.

4. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Nimona is a great pick-me-up book to read when you’re feeling down or frustrated. A naive shapeshifter, the titular character is a bouncing ball of sunshine who decides to put her powers to use and help out the villainous Lord Ballister Blackheart. You’ll find yourselves rooting for the villains as their attempts to sabotage the “heroes” reveal their affectionate side. Packed with light-hearted humor and emotion, Nimona proves that not everyone is as they seem and that a single act of kindness can truly change a person.

5. Amulet Series by Kazu Kibuishi

Itching to read a fantasy series with magic, mysteries, and monsters? Then give the Amulet series a shot. Kibuishi makes it seem easy to create lush colorful universes with a unique cast of characters. The art is simply stunning with panels of gorgeous night skies and amazing character designs. Most importantly, the series explores many societal aspects, from the power of family to dealing with loss, and is a great segway into the world of graphic novels.   

Next time you’re in the mood of picking up a book to read, try reading one of these amazing books. Happy reading!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is currently a junior at Boston University studying English and English Education. In addition to her love for reading and writing, she has an unhealthy obsession with cute desserts and graphic tee shirts. When she's not typing away on her laptop, you can find her cafe hunting, bopping to music, or doodling.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.