This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Many forms of media today are obsessed with presenting what society thinks a woman should be. Typically, this means turning sexism on its head and portraying female characters as totally independent, sure of themselves, and generally badass. Personally, I think these depictions can fall flat; they confine women into neatly prescribed boxes and build characters from a seemingly ideal stereotype rather than creating a real, raw human being we can relate to as an audience.

When a television show’s writers instead decide to create heroines with genuine flaws and doubts, we begin to see better portrayals that embrace the true reality of being female. In these shows, our female characters are not defined by their gender; they are simply complex individuals who just happen to be women. This does not mean that their femininity is ignored— rather, it is explored in depth. Several of the shows on this list cover topics that are so prevalent in the female experience, including motherhood, gender equality, and sexual discrimination. 

Of course, there are many other shows with incredible female leads that deserve a spot on this kind of list, but I’ve decided to just examine five shows I’ve recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed. Ranked in no specific order, each show holds a special spot on the diverse spectrum of female representation in the media. Most importantly, these shows contribute to the growing message that women should be encouraged to be human, no matter how imperfect that may be.

Anne with an E

If I could write a love letter to any show, it would be addressed to Netflix’s Anne with an E. This period piece is the perfect show for anyone trying to get in touch with their imagination, and it will make you appreciate the joy in a simple life. For a show that takes place at the tail end of the 1800s, it is surprisingly very modern. Many episodes tackle prejudiced thinking and promote contemporary views on equality, sexuality, and race. 

Based on Anne of Green Gables, the series follows a young girl who mistakenly gets adopted after living most of her life as an orphan. Anne is filled to the brim with unrelenting optimism and creativity. I’m so accustomed to watching shows with older, more cynical leads that she was a breath of fresh air (although her different personality initially took some getting used to).  

Anne’s coming-of-age story has its ups and downs as she deals with her past trauma and overcomes the trials of puberty and growing up. Her boundless hope has a ripple effect on the lives of the people around her, including her adoptive mother Marilla, and her best friend Diana. Seeing them all transform into fuller versions of themselves as the years go by is cathartic and gratifying. By the finale, it was hard to let these characters go, but I was also so proud of the women they had become that their departure didn’t sting too much. 

Euphoria

There’s a reason Zendaya recently became the youngest woman in history to win the Emmy for best lead actress in a drama. Her portrayal of Rue, a high-schooler struggling to stay sober and overcome her drug addiction after an overdose, is part of the reason I decided to write this article.

HBO’s Euphoria explores the youth experience and the naive uncertainty that comes along with it. However, despite the many wild partying scenes, the show does not glorify being young. Instead, it examines the tumultuous road to growing up. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that the characters in the show are younger than I am now— they’re thrown into such graphic adult situations. This is not to say that they flawlessly navigate these ever-changing circumstances with ease; usually, the outcome is the exact opposite. This creates the ideal environment for characters that can make mistakes- characters who are realistic and are not perfect in any sense of the word.

Little Fires Everywhere

Based on the novel by Celeste Ng, this eight-episode Hulu miniseries takes a look at the lives of Elena Richardson, portrayed by Reese Witherspoon, and Mia Warren, portrayed by Kerry Washington.

Immediately in the first scene, we see a gorgeous, elaborate home burning to the ground; from there on, we go backward, with new details slowly revealing why and how this could have happened. I can assure you, each twist and turn will draw you in more until you’ve suddenly binged the entire show in a single day.

The show’s female leads are foil pairs that both lead incredibly different lives while each hiding their own swarm of splitting secrets. Elena is seemingly perfect- suburban, white, upper class, and in tight control of every little detail of her mundane life. When Mia, a black artist and wandering single mother, rolls into town with her daughter Pearl, Elena’s control begins to melt away as her insecurities come to light and both of their families’ dynamics start to unravel. Questioning domesticity, motherhood, race relations, and privilege, the series demonstrates two women at odds with each other and fighting to control their individual worlds.

Golden Girls

Over the past month, this smash-hit sitcom from the 80s has become my guilty pleasure. I was inspired to watch the show after my mom explained how much audiences loved it back when it first aired. According to her, she would wait at home on Saturday nights just to watch it before heading out for a night on the town. For anyone unfamiliar with the show’s premise, Golden Girls follows the lives of four older women who live together in Miami. There’s Blanche— the Southern belle obsessed with men, Rose— the dimwitted farm girl brought to life by Betty White, Dorothy— the sharp-tongued divorcee that keeps the group grounded, and Sophia— Dorothy’s 80-year-old Italian mother who routinely delivers hilarious, gut-punching one-liners. 

Now streaming on Hulu, the show is filled to the brim with terrific comedic writing and plenty of sincere moments- it even tackles difficult topics that were seldom discussed at the time, including ageism, same-sex marriage, and menopause. You can’t help but fall in love with the women on this show. You may not always agree with them, but they are such well-rounded individuals that they feel real.

Golden Girls broke barriers with its portrayal of older women, establishing female characters that still lead exciting lives despite their age and widowed/divorced status. Our culture is swarmed with many forms of media that are hyper-focused on youth, but the reality is we don’t stay young forever. Not only does Golden Girls provide representation for older female viewers, but it also teaches its youthful audience to not fear aging. After all, it’s just a part of life.

Fleabag

Currently available on Amazon Prime Video, this two-season romp is based on its creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s one-woman play from 2013. Without a doubt, the show has taken off— winning two Golden Globes, the Peabody Award for entertainment, and a Screen Actors Guild Award all within this year alone. Fleabag’s female protagonist navigates love, sex, and tragedy in London. 

Although Fleabag herself isn’t given a name, we grow to know her through her questionable actions and frequent breaking of the fourth wall. Undoubtedly, she is a mess of a human being who, despite being the independent owner of a guinea-pig-themed cafe, does not have her life figured out. As Fleabag transforms across the series, we dive deeper into her psyche and begin to somewhat understand her quirky, slightly off-putting nature.

These shows are just the beginning when it comes to complex female protagonists; jump on to Netflix, HBO, or any other entertainment service to find more women worth watching.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Courtney is a junior at Boston University majoring in Film and Television with minors in Theatre and Arts Leadership. She loves spending time performing, crafting, and playing with her dogs Romeo and Jasper.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.