Five Comfort Movies for When Your Heart Needs a Hug

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I think we can all agree that the vibes right now in the world are majorly off. We’re living through a global pandemic, we’re headed towards an extremely contentious election, and TikTok’s fate hangs continuously on the edge of disaster. With all this nightmare fuel circling around, falling asleep to cute scenarios in your head is getting harder and harder. 

That’s why I am sharing with you my comfort movies — the ones I can watch over and over, always finishing with a huge smile on my face and a dreamy look in my eyes (so yeah, they’re mostly rom-coms). Grab your roomies, a pint of ice cream each, and pop one of these in for a wholesome (and safe!) night in.

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”

This is my ultimate comfort film, because it is the embodiment of rom-com excellence. Lara Jean is the perfect lead, and her being so relatable makes it that much better when she gets the cute guy in the end. It’s also amazing to see a film with a lady of color as a lead who doesn’t fall into any stereotypes. LJ + Noah Centineo at his swooniest + fake dating trope + an incredible soundtrack + a beautiful color palette = a movie that feels like a daydream I never want to get out of.

“Pride and Prejudice” (2005)

2020 sucks, so why not flee to an entirely different century? This version of the story deserves to be watched every day, by everyone, just for the *hand scene* alone, but also because Keira Knightley’s abundant moxie as Elizabeth is so adorably joyful. Paired with the brooding Mr. Darcy, the two make the most preciously confusing pair. I love this movie for when I want to imagine a life of pretty dresses, painting, and love declarations in the rain (minus the rampant disease and even more rampant intolerance, of course).

“Tangled”

I really believe that Tangled deserved all the hype Frozen got, and then some. This movie is pure serotonin, and Rapunzel is arguably the greatest princess (okay fine, she’s tied with Tiana). The soundtrack of this movie is the sweetest set of bangers there ever was, and Flynn Ryder is the king of all the princes. Plus, the art in this movie is otherworldly. I cry every single time they let those lanterns fly. Every. Single. Time. If you need some childlike whimsy in your life right now, it’s time for you to see the light and watch Tangled.

“Love, Simon”

Where do I even begin with how much I love this movie? It can be super hard sometimes to find a movie about LGBTQ+ protagonists that doesn’t end up horribly sad. And since the purpose of this list is to avoid any tears of the unhappy variety, Simon Spier is here to flip that trope on its head. I have watched this movie with so many people, and every time I still get so excited to see the reveal of Simon’s mystery love note author. It is the sweetest movie about family, friendships, and being true to you, but also checks every box a cute-as-can-be romantic comedy should.

“Legally Blonde”

When people ask me who my role model is, I feel 100% confident in saying “Elle Woods.” Anyone who can win a court case in stilettos has all of my respect. Elle does that and so much more in this film. This movie is impossibly empowering, without ever feeling preachy or insincere. Reese Witherspoon’s performance is just about my favorite thing, and I quote this movie more than I know I should. I know you’ve all probably seen this one, but I love to revisit it when I feel down about the political state of the world. If Elle (and Bruiser) can take on Harvard Law School, then we can all take on this next election.

I hope that one of these picks can bring you a little bit of levity in such a dark time in our lives.

Remember to take care of yourselves, drink lots of water, and never forget that YOU are the main character. No really, you are.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace is a senior at BU studying PR and minoring in Film and TV. She loves reading YA novels, watching (and screenwriting) rom-coms, baking new recipes, and convincing herself that One Direction is reuniting soon.