5 Budget-Friendly Activities In Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With temperatures rising and flowers blooming, leaving your dorm room to explore the city sounds like a better and better idea every day. But let’s face it, living in Boston is notoriously expensive.

From ordering a delivery dinner on self-care nights to buying necessary medications, expenses add up quickly as a college student living away from home. Usually, this budgeting means sacrificing fun plans with friends because they’re out of your price range. But don’t fret, you can still make lasting memories and enjoy life in Boston while spending little to no money!

Visit The BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY

Whether you go to study or just for aesthetic photos, the Boston Public Library is free to all college students in Boston. With its Harry Potter-esque marble staircases and painted mural ceilings, it’s a perfect place to go if you want to feel transported outside of the city.

As a bonus, if you register for a library card while you’re there, you can gain free access to certain museums and additional resources. 

TAKE A WALK ON THE CHARLES

As spring approaches, the Charles River Esplanade is a great place to go on a hot girl walk with friends, take a study break, or simply reconnect with nature. The path runs along the entire Charles River and is a great spot for people- or sail-watching!

EAT CANNOLIS IN THE NORTH END

You can’t call yourself a Bostonian unless you can weigh in on the debate between Mike’s and Modern Pastry! If you’re in the mood for a sweet treat, take the T to the North End and try one of the many cannoli flavors from these famous Italian bakeries. 

Also, for any history-lovers out there, the North End is home to the Paul Revere House and Old North Church, which are stops on the Freedom Trail!

VISIT THE MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS

The Museum of Fine Arts is free to college students in Boston if you show your student I.D. at the ticketing desk. Go visit and get lost in artwork from all over the world, dating back hundreds of centuries, or check out the new exhibits that pop-up. This museum is ideal for an outing with friends, or alone if you want to truly immerse yourself in the pieces.

GO ON A COFFEE DATE 

You can find a cafe in every corner of Boston, and what’s more “college” than going on a study date at a coffee shop? Whether you’re drinking coffee, tea, or matcha, coffee shops are great places to chat with friends or study with background noise!

So you may not have extra cash to blow on lavish days out, but you can still experience everything this city has to offer with this list! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Tori Torres is a sophomore in the College of General Studies at Boston University. She will be continuing into the College of Communications to pursue a degree in Journalism. Moving into the Journalism field, she hopes to further explore passions in writing and creative design. She grew up in Southern California and chose BU to gain new experiences over 3,000 miles away from home.