The Five Best Outdoor Hang Out Spots in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The safest place to spend your time while in a pandemic is outdoors. Whether you’re taking a walk by yourself or having socially distant lunch with friends, outside (with masks on still, of course) is the safest place to be. Here are the best outdoor spots to spend your time at before Boston’s freezing winter weather takes over the city.

The Esplanade

This is a great place to hang out, because it doesn’t even require leaving BU’s campus. Head over to BU beach for a great place to eat lunch or do some homework. Walk over the pedestrian footbridge to the other side of Storrow drive for a great place to take a walk with a beautiful view of the Charles River.

Boston Common

Just a short T ride away from BU’s campus, the common is a great place for a picnic or a walk. It gets so beautiful in the fall when all of the trees turn various shades of red, orange, and yellow.

Harborwalk

This is one of my personal favorite places to visit in Boston. Walking down harborwalk in the North End is a great way to spend your afternoon. The view of the harbor and all of the boats is so pretty at any time of year.

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market

While it’s still warm, Quincy Market is a great place to grab lunch indoors and then eat it sitting outside. Going to Faneuil Hall is just a quintessential piece of exploring historic Boston.

Harvard Square

A little bit further from BU’s campus, Harvard Square is a great place to explore when you want to hang out in a different part of the city. There are plenty of places to grab food, and it’s a nice place to walk around and explore with friends.

Regardless of where you spend your time this fall, make sure you’re staying socially distant and wearing your mask. Enjoy the crisp autumn air while it lasts!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.