This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Do you need some music to listen to while studying for your upcoming finals? Do you find yourself getting distracted by lyrics? Try movie scores or music in other languages! I’ve found that this music allows me to give my schoolwork the attention it needs while still being enjoyable to listen to. Here are some of my recommendations!

Movie Scores

Movie scores are instrumentals that range in energy, so you can easily find something calming or more upbeat. Streaming services like Spotify already have a lot of score playlists curated for studying, so you can find a mix that works for you! For example, if you’re like me and want some extra motivation via dramatic music, you can easily find a collection of Marvel themes.

Or, try sticking with a movie you enjoy! Usually, these score albums will be around forty minutes to an hour, so I make it a little challenge to stay focused for a set amount of time. Some of my favorite movie scores are Amelie (55 minutes), The Grand Budapest Hotel (60 minutes), EMMA (62 minutes), and Oppenheimer (94 minutes). 

You can also sort by famous score composers whose work can be found in many famous movies. If you know nothing about movie scores, these can be nice as they’re both recognizable and fun! Try John Williams (Star Wars and Indiana Jones), Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings), or Hans Zimmer (Inception and Pirates of the Caribbean).

Foreign Language Music

Another genre I like is music in languages that are foreign to me. This is a much broader genre, but I find that if the lyrics aren’t in my native language, they aren’t as distracting because I don’t understand them! Recently I’ve been listening to a lot of music in French. 

Some of my favorite foreign artists are Angèle, Therapie Taxi, Pomme, and Clara Luciani. My absolute favorite song is “Tout Oublier” by Angèle, as shown by my Spotify Wrapped. She and Luciani have a lot of cool songs with feminist messages if you want to do a little Google Translating.

These artists’ styles range from indie to pop and have the same energy as English music, but the lyrics aren’t an issue when I’m trying to focus! 

A bonus Recommendation

I’ve even found an album with the best of both of these worlds: the Coraline soundtrack by Bruno Coulais! While a lot of it is composed of an instrumental score, some of the songs have lyrics. However, the majority of these are in a made-up language.

This score is hauntingly beautiful and entertaining to listen to, and best of all, you don’t have to worry about getting distracted!

Happy listening and good luck on finals!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Rae Ruane is a biweekly writer for Her Campus Boston University. She enjoys writing about a broad range of topics but is especially partial to feminism and culture. Having grown up in a small beach town in California, she finds that there is a lot of interesting material to cover in a new city! Rae is a Film and Television major at BU’s College of Communication and is also minoring in Myth Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. As a film major, she wants to study screenwriting and has won a few awards for her short screenplay work in the past from the Central Coast Film Society Student Film and Media Arts Competition and Urbanite Arts & Film Festival. Her writing has also appeared in various Morro Bay High School drama productions and the Morro Bay Spyglass newspaper. In her free time at BU, Rae enjoys going on walks along the esplanade and visiting museums. She listens to a lot of music and her favorite artists are Angèle and Vance Joy. Outside of Her Campus she is costume designer for "Public Domain" on BUTV10 and is a member of Students for Reproductive Freedom, BU Democrats, and History clubs.