The “F” Word: Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A few weeks ago, a friend messaged me a video from an organization called “FCKH8”. I clicked on it, and watched in shock (and slight distaste) as little girls in princess dresses dropped f-bomb after f-bomb while discussing issues surrounding gender inequality.

Before I go any further, let me just say that I 100 percent consider myself a feminist. I agree it’s ridiculous that women are paid less than men for the same jobs, and that we should be able to walk to our cars alone at night without being fearful. I also think it’s great that more women are going to college and want to have a career. The video touches on all of these points; however, it contains some major flaws.

First of all, these little girls don’t really understand what they’re doing, saying, or even promoting. It’s hard not to cringe at a 6-year old saying “f*ck” and “penis”. The fact that women make less than men in many industries is cringe-worthy as well; however, these little girls probably don’t even understand the significance of that. They are simply repeating lines they’ve been given, and it’s very obvious that they were coached on how to say them, as well. Personally, I think the strongest part of the video is when the girls state one in five women is sexually assaulted, and then count to five and question which one of them it will be. That alone makes a much more impactful statement than the countless f-bombs.

The other issue with this video is it subtly promotes the idea that you can’t like stereotypical “girly” things and still be a feminist. The little girls bash the fact that they are wearing princess dresses, and later go on to talk about how girls shouldn’t be concerned with what they look like. It is absolutely true that society frequently objectifies women and puts too much emphasis on looks. However, it is completely okay to like looking pretty, and princess movies, and things that girls tend to like and still support the feminist movement.

In relation to that idea, there is a side of extreme feminism that centers around fighting against everything women “stereotypically” should be or take interest in. The biggest example of this is the big push for women to have 9-5 jobs, and aspiring to do something more than marriage and having children. While I’m all about women holding powerful positions in the workforce, I would never put down another women who genuinely just wants to get married and take care of her children. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that aspiration, if it’s what she truly wants to do with her life.

I’m aware my opinion may be unpopular, as I know many people shared this video and loved it. As a feminist myself, I truly think there are other ways to support these issues without utilizing f-bomb-dropping, princess-hating, six year olds. As women (and not just feminists), we should be supporting each other in whatever it is we want to do with our lives, instead of encouraging only one way of life just to show men we can do it too. We already know we can do anything they can do, and do it just as well – if not better.  (:

If you haven’t seen it, check out the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHYzYn3WZw

And check out a much better, more tasteful campaign for gender equality here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs

Olivia Shur is a student at Boston University. She enjoys food, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and watching cat videos when she really should be studying. She is a PR major in the College of Communication.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.