sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Examining The Power of Touch During Tragedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My family is being evacuated from our home in Northern California. A fire spanning 50,000 acres is 5% contained, and heading our way. I’m across the country, but I feel it just the same. Except maybe more because I’m alone. I’m not grieving with a community who hurts too. My family asked me what I wanted from my room— I don’t know.

Source: Los Angeles Times

We’re on the phone very often. I can speak comforting words and see things through a lens, but the distance is ultimately impenetrable. I can’t hold my little sister in my arms. I can’t lay on my mom’s chest. I can’t receive a kiss on the forehead from my dad. I can’t rub my cat’s belly!    

Sometimes it’s hard for me to get the courage or eloquence to tell the people I love that I love them. But I feel that one touch can transfer a hundred emotions. A touch can tell someone exactly what you’re trying to say, even if neither of you are quite sure what that is. Touch is innate, and fundamental.

Source: Patch.com

Right now, I feel empty without the warm touch of my home. Especially because it might not be there when I come back—at least not with all its pieces. If I can’t run my fingers along the old shingles of my family house, or twirl the leaves of the trees I’ve grown tall with, I fear there will always be something missing from me. Without touch, I may never have closure.

For my home right now, I guess I hope for courage. Courage to sit and wait, to watch the news, to detach from material things. Courage to touch, to share the weight of tragedy through a held hand.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Overall great girl.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.