The Evolution of Justin Bieber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a past “non-Belieber,” it is baffling to me that the once feminine, hair flipping boy from Canada is now, well, amazing. I never understood the hype when I was in middle school, or high school, but now as a college senior it is all starting to make sense. If you’ve been hiding under a rock lately or never go online, let me let you in on this spoiler alert: Justin Bieber is hot!

Not only is the Biebs hot, but also he’s damn talented. We’ve all seen the YouTube videos from his early days, they were how he got discovered after all. So yeah, I guess he’s always been good at singing. But, his new album Purpose will make a Belieber out of the most resistant teen idol enthusiast. But how did this happen? Follow the evolution of the one, the only, Justin Bieber. 

When Justin first burst onto the scene it looked something like this: 

And while 11-year-old girls everywhere saw a pre-teen version Channing Tatum, I was not so impressed. He did have some catchy songs though. #Throwback to this classic!

After his initial success and a Christmas album, Justin was in the news more for his misbehavior than his music. He became a repeat character on SNL. He bought a monkey and it got taken away at customs. He publicly urinated in a bucket. Basically, Biebers was going bonkers. 

He had a romance with Selena Gomez. Then he didn’t.  

And then all of a sudden, it happened. Bieber had been around for what seemed like forever, but now he seemed worthy of attention. It all started with a performance at the VMAs. You remember the one. There were a lot of tears.  

His new album was debuting soon and he did the talk show circuit to promote his new singles. Not only was Justin looking good, but also all the songs on his new album were total bangers.  

And then it happened, the performance to end all performances, the 2015 AMAs. If you need a refresher, it looked a little something like this: 

So thank you, Justin. You made this non-believer a total Belieber. 

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis