Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know About The Coronavirus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the new year rolled in, not everyone was ringing in the year and celebrating the start of a new decade. In Wuhan, China, a mysterious new virus locked residents in a state of fear as the virus stole the lives of family members and friends. Soon, news of the virus outbreak and the virus itself spread beyond the boundaries of the Chinese port city, sending the world into a frenzy. Still not sure about what the coronavirus is and how you can protect yourself from it? Here is a breakdown of the coronavirus and ways to stay safe from it.

What exactly is the coronavirus? How does it spread?

Coronaviruses aren’t something new. They’re a family of viruses that can cause a variety of health problems ranging from common colds like fevers to more serious diseases like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). According to the World Health Organization, the current coronavirus epidemic stems from a coronavirus called COVID-19 that has never been seen before. These viruses are transmitted from animals to humans, with SARS-CoV coming from human contact with camels. While the source of this new coronavirus is still unknown, it is spread through air droplets and close contact with the virus, such as shaking hands and touching a doorknob.

Where did the 2019 coronavirus come from?

The 2019 coronavirus originated from Wuhan, China. The exact source hasn’t been pinpointed but various cases of those infected by the virus stem from the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market.

Is there a cure?

There is currently no cure for the virus. While several drugs have been tested against the virus, health officials have not found a drug that can effectively combat the disease.

How do I know if I have the coronavirus?

Those affected by the virus experience various health issues, ranging from mild to severe respiratory illnesses. The CDC notes that symptoms include fever, shortness of breath, and coughing. They also are in the process of sending test kits throughout the US. If you have a fever or cold symptoms, be sure to go to a doctor or a nearby medical facility to get checked up.

How can I prevent myself from getting coronavirus? 

Masks are helpful but not absolutely necessary

Wearing a mask can help reduce the risk of getting the virus but wearing a mask alone won’t guarantee immunity and can only reduce the risk of contraction. If you are wearing a mask, make sure to cover your nose and mouth as well as to change and dispose of it every once in a while. Additionally, be mindful when using masks by only wearing them when you are experiencing respiratory problems or caring for people suspected to have the virus. This is so that the masks can be allocated to those who are in close contact with the virus and are experiencing its symptoms.

Keep your hands clean!

Get into the habit of washing your hands frequently with soap and water and using hand sanitizer. This helps get rid of the virus if your hands come in contact with it and reduce the risk of it spreading.

Watch what you eat

Avoid eating raw foods and instead eat thoroughly cooked food to prevent cross-contamination.

Try not to touch your face

Using your hands to rub an itchy eye or wiping your mouth is not a great idea especially when your hands touch so many surfaces that may have the virus. Touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands in any way can lead to the virus getting into your body and getting you sick.

The coronavirus has sent the world in a state of panic as everyone is afraid of contracting the virus, so stay alert but don’t forget to be considerate!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is currently a junior at Boston University studying English and English Education. In addition to her love for reading and writing, she has an unhealthy obsession with cute desserts and graphic tee shirts. When she's not typing away on her laptop, you can find her cafe hunting, bopping to music, or doodling.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.