Emma Off The Record: First Snowfall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I looked at my weather app last week, I was definitely not expecting to see snow in the forecast. Boston has thrown me for a loop weather-wise in the past, but never like this before. Don’t get me wrong, I am a big-time cheerleader for snow. But in October? The Northeast is going through some changes and, unfortunately, I think we all know who the culprit is: cough, cough, climate change

Nevertheless, I embody the West Coast cliché when it comes to experiencing East Coast seasons, and I don’t feel embarrassed about it one bit. I mean, what’s not to love about frolicking in the crunchy leaves or waking up in the morning to a fresh coat of snow outside? Haters will say it’s no big deal, but I for one say it’s the most magical thing in the world––and you can most definitely quote me on that.

Being cooped up inside these past few months has been a challenge for many reasons, but my little outdoor excursions have been my saving grace. I pretty much only leave my apartment once or twice a week to run an errand or get tested, but when I do get outside, I fully embrace whatever temperature it happens to be. While rainstorms aren’t my favorite, I still love the smell of fresh raindrops and jumping over puddles because––let’s be honest––it’s fun to embrace your inner five-year-old from time to time. Whenever I’m heading back from the Fenway area, I love to cut through Amory Park, especially on a crisp autumn afternoon when everyone brings their dogs out to play. And yes, while the park is surrounded by gorgeous trees that turn red, orange, and yellow, I would be lying if I didn’t say I was mostly there for the dogs. :)

Unsplash/ Genessa Panainte

But there’s something about the first snowfall that has me swooning like the lead in a 1940’s romance film (IYKYK). I swear my first instinct when I see the first powdery snow blanket outside is to throw on some Bing Crosby because, well, do I need to explain? Obviously, my immediate association with snow is the holiday season, but this year since it came so early I felt it was way too soon to get into that kind of spirit. I was still in autumn-mode, so I decided to contain my excitement for the winter holidays and listen to some jazzy and bluesy tunes to give me that same satisfying feeling without all the jingle bells and whistles. 

This week’s playlist is filled with a mix of more upbeat, classic jazz songs from legends like Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker, as well as some more somber tunes from artists like Miles Davis and Chet Baker. I also have a few songs from more recent artists who always put me in a reflective mood like Sufjan Stevens and James Blake (ft. the king of moody folk synth, Bon Iver). Essentially, I wanted to have a nice balance of joyful melodies to keep my spirits up and some more downtempo tracks to keep me from floating off too far down the “holly jolly” lane. But of course, I could not resist adding ONE Bing Crosby song, that is, my favorite Bing Crosby song, “Winter Wonderland.” This playlist essentially sums up the feeling when I look out of my window on a snowy day and my heart swells up to the point where it could burst at any moment from my sheer love for wintertime and the holiday season. Dramatic? Maybe. Accurate? Definitely. 

The magic of the first snowfall never fails to dazzle me, and I cannot wait until it is socially acceptable to start getting into the holiday spirit again. There are a few more weeks to go, so I guess I’ll just have to be patient in the meantime! xoxo, Emma

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma is a senior at BU studying Journalism and Gender and Women's Studies in the College of Communications. She's originally from sunny Los Angeles, California. She is an avid fan of local bakeries and making oddly specific Spotify playlists.