This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Emma Parkinson, a lover of exploring and live music, is enrolled in the College of Communication pursuing a degree in Journalism. Originally from Chicago, IL, Emma has done everything in her power to familiarize herself with Boston. From finding hidden bookstores, to joining a community service group on campus, she is doing what she can to make herself feel at home.

Although she had visited Boston once prior to attending BU, Emma was determined to become a Bostonian as soon as she began college. Her first impression of the city was when she explored the freedom trail with her mom many years ago. When she returned, she wanted to see the city from greater heights.

“At the beginning of the semester, I wanted to see the city as a whole. My friends and I walked to the top of the Prudential Center and saw the Boston skyline at night. It made me see where I would be living for the next four years. Chicago has [a skyline] too so it made me feel like home.” Now, Emma is determined to experience everything that her city has to offer.

“I like to explore Boston! I think that the T is super easy to use and I like to walk everywhere. So if I can, I’ll walk.” She particularly enjoys searching for bookstores and reading to her hearts content. “I like any books. Buy me a book and I’ll love you forever.” She also enjoys the more popular attractions, admitting that she is a big fan of the North End.

“I like to walk around there and find good restaurants. Once my friends and I went to this cute little cafe at 11:30 p.m. and had cannolis.”

Along with her love for adventure, Emma is infatuated with music.

“I go to concerts a lot, I like that live music is something special. A lot of the bands I listen to… their music is very suited to live performances in regards to acoustics and crowd energy.” Her favorite band is Kodaline, whom she describes as possessing a sound that is a hybrid of alternative and indie. She’s also a fan of Delta Rae.

“They are a mix of americana, bluegrass and folk.” Aside from bands, she has a taste for classical music, both live and recorded.

Her fondness for music correlates with her passion for writing. Emma is a Journalism major who avidly writes about both music and culture. Her journey with writing began at a young age.

“I’m not very good at math and science. And by not very good, I mean that I can’t do either at all.” English and social studies were things that she excelled in when she was younger. As a result, she persued writing in any way that she could.

“I was told that I was alright at [writing] so I was like, ‘Hey, I’ll try it out.’ Plus I hate math.” As an active writer for the BU Tab, The BU Buzz, and the Daily Free Press, Emma has been able to take her skills to new heights.

“I want to do something proactive with my writing,” Emma asserted. Her goal is to one day write for a culture and music magazine such as Rolling Stone or The Fader.

When questioned about the most memorable piece of work that she’s ever written, Emma was quick to answer that she may not have one.

“I think that every story that I write has some sort of significance because I wouldn’t want to write a story that I didn’t feel something for.” However, she was able to pinpoint one article that touched her heart because of a personal connection. The story was centered on the Boston Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, a tuition free orchestra for students ages 12-21.

“They are a very special group and they are conducted by Benjamin Zander. I was able to talk to him and a student in the orchestra. It reminded me of how much I loved being in a youth orchestra and how much I love classical music. I really connected with the story.” Her experience with a youth orchestra began in elementary school when she learned how to play the viola. She then transitioned to the violin in middle school in order to help lead the violin orchestra.

Aside from music, Emma is extremely passionate about community service. She is heavily involved with the CSC program at Boston University and participated in FYSOP, a week-long volunteering project for incoming BU freshmen.

“In high school we had a community service requirement. I always found that I would forget about the requirement and I would have so many more hours than necessary. We had to write papers at the end of [volunteering] and I realized I enjoyed it as a fundamental activity.”

In five years, you may find Emma living in London or traveling Europe, as she wants to experience a multitude of cultures. However, she is also open to making Boston her permanent home one day. Who knows that the future holds!

Taleen is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication, pursuing a degree in journalism. She aspires to write for magazines and newspapers about current events. When she isn’t blogging or studying, Taleen enjoys spending her time discovering new music, redecorating her dorm room, taking BuzzFeed quizzes, FaceTiming her cat and searching for the most delicious cup of coffee in Boston. You can follow her on Twitter @taleensim
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.