This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When listening to the radio, it is hard not to admire the spunk and character the radio talk show hosts and DJs are able to convey without ever being seen. This week’s Campus Celeb is Emma Olswing (COM ’16). She works at WTBU and is one of the intern DJs for Girl Powa, a WTBU radio show that proudly empowers women by playing all female artists every Wednesday night. Care to indulge in some late-night celebrity gossip, relationship advice, and cool jams—Girl Powa is the radio show for you.

Emma became involved with Girl Powa almost out of pure curiosity.

“It was super spontaneous, but I always wanted to be on college radio,” Emma said. “As soon as the girls from Girl Powa explained their show, I knew I wanted to join.”

She was very interested in the concept of the show and the initiative to support female artists—which is very important to Emma. Interning as a DJ has become a huge part of her life.

What is exciting about Girl Powa is that every new radio show brings with it entirely new discussions and music.

“Our shows are never the same because we are always playing new and different music and talking about what we want in a given week,” Emma said.

A typical show starts with an introduction by all the girls on staff, a playlist of all female music, and then a discussion on current events and juicy celebrity gossip fills the rest of the 10 p.m. to midnight radio show.

Although the WTBU radio station is considered a pop station, Girl Powa’s main focus is broadcasting all female artists—both popular and emerging.

“That being said, we DO love our Miley … so it’s really an eclectic mix of music,” Emma said.

And for all the male listeners, have no fear—you are recognized as well! Girl Powa has a Man of the Week segment at the end of every radio show where they play a song by a male artist or band that the staff is especially loving that week.

Ultimately, Emma sees her experience with WTBU’s Girl Powa to be more of an awesome hobby than a job. She compares her experience to that of a player on a sports team: although she may not want to pursue being on the radio as a career, it’s still a huge part of her life and she wants to see the show do well.

Emma’s favorite memory with the Girl Powa was “during one of the songs [they] dimmed the lights and had a full out dance party in the tiny studio … That was one of my first shows, and it really made me feel like doing Girl Powa was so different, and cool, and fun it was like being in a different space for a minute, just cranking up the music, and dancing with these super incredible, rad girls and really feeling like a part of something.”

Be sure to tune in to Girl Powa on WTBU to check out this Campus Celeb’s awesome radio show Wednesday nights from 10 p.m. to midnight. Get ready for a night of groovy vibes and GIRL POWA!

GIRL POWA GRAPHICS CREDIT: Marry Pivazian

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.