The Ellen Show Films Green Monsters, Live from BU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Like any fairy tale, it all started with a tweet.

When Ellen DeGeneres announced an event in Boston, who knew her crew would be showing up right on our campus? With this tweet, word spread like rapid fire, gaining the attention of all of Comm Ave. Fans rushed to Marsh Plaza, proving how strong of an influence social media and a love for the Red Sox can have on Boston. 

Only a few hours before filming, Ellen had a new challenge for us. 

We ran to CVS for all of our green paint needs, morphing from die-hard Red Sox fans into 100% authentic Green Monsters.

There were green men

Green Creatures

And guitarists singing Sweet Caroline. Sweet Ellen anyone?

We even dressed up our umbrellas. 

As the camera came by, we cheered our loudest, begging for our 5 seconds of Ellen-worthy fame.

The search for the best Green Monster soon began. Ellen’s correspondents went around, through the crowd, testing our love for Ellen and the Red Sox.

Through the rain, the cold, and the sunset, we waited. 

Until it was finally time for our Ellen Show debut. 

Of course, Ellen couldn’t give away World Series tickets for just a costume contest. Her next challenge: take a scary picture with a stranger!

Out of all of our crazy pictures, only one could prevail. Nikki (COM’14) walked away with World Series game tickets, $5,000, and a VIP package. But of course, Ellen couldn’t let us leave without another surprise. 

Ellen sent finalist Karen (SAR’17), who was definitely the most enthusiastic of the day, to Los Angeles to appear on her show!

Thank you to The Ellen Show for coming to our campus & to Boston University for keeping this great surprise a secret from us!

Need More Ellen? Watch the full live segment here!

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.