Style

Dua Lipa’s Top Five Looks of the Future Nostalgia Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dua Lipa’s sophomore album Future Nostalgia has brought about a new wave of pop music that will go on to define the 2020’s. But it isn’t just the music that makes Dua Lipa the current Queen of Pop. It’s the way that she has defined this new era of her music career with a hot, signature look, complete with a two-toned mane. 

“Break My Heart” Music Video

It was so difficult to pick just one look out of this music video, which was, creatively, everything I could’ve wished for and more. In the video, she has not one, not two, not three, but five iconic costume changes. My favorite out of the bunch was the monochrome red outfit towards the end. From the collared cropped shirt from Mirror Palais ($315) to the Miu Miu tweed miniskirt ($815) to the perfectly placed red barrettes, this outfit showcases Lipa’s fiery side as she provides us with our new pop anthem.

Vogue: Dua’s World

To showcase the latest fall 2020 collections, Vogue curated a video shoot featuring the one and only Dua Lipa wearing the most coveted designer pieces of the season. Directed by Bardia Zeinali and styled by Jorden Bickham, Lipa got to play the ultimate designer dress-up of every person’s dreams. Modeled after a ‘90s sitcom like The Nanny, Lipa’s grand finale piece was a shiny (possibly latex) coral Marc Jacobs gown. Completed with a black padded headband and a set of pearls, the look tells us that it’s Dua’s world, and we’re just living in it.

62nd Annual Grammy Awards

Lipa went back and channeled 1999 energy for her two-piece Grammys look. Decked out in custom Alexander Wang, Lipa kept things angelic in a silky pearl (adjustable) spaghetti strap gown. She contrasted the youthful look with her sleek updo and some electrifying blue eyeshadow. As if the dress wasn’t great enough, she wore the same gown in black for the after-party—with some matching Converse. 

Future Nostalgia Promotional 

The uniform of her “Physical” music video was essentially the less upscale version of this look: a ribbed tank top and jeans in matching colors. For this promotional photo, she wears the upscale neon yellow version. Decked out in Helmut Lang, Lipa proves that simplicity is key.  

NYC Street Style

I need everything from Dua’s closet ASAP. While her music video and promotional looks are very trendy, commercial, and poppy, her street style is even cooler and more laidback. While out in New York City back in January, Lipa complemented her wide-legged jeans with a fitted butterfly tee from O Mighty ($53). And to match her black Prada Block sneakers ($850) and tie the whole look together was a floor-length black leather trench coat. 

Dua Lipa’s music and style have evolved so much since her “New Rules” days. She has managed to make us fall in love with her as a brunette and a blonde—not something too many people can pull off. Her style is both trendy and innovative. Sexy and classy. Youthful and mature. And that’s why she is a defining Gen Z style star in my book. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sannah is a freshman at BU studying Film + TV in the College of Communication. Most of her writing is inspired by her interests in film, fashion, and activism. Other than that, you can find her working at coffee shops, watching (and rewatching) random films, and quoting Taylor Swift lyrics.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.