Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia is the Best Pop Album of 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Before last Friday, I had never really been a huge fan of Dua Lipa. To me, she seemed like just another basic pop star: not super talented, very pretty, and only successful because of her connections to other higher-ups. Because of all of this, paired with the fact that she broke the heart of one of my favorite singers (shoutout Paul Klein from LANY), I had never really given her music a chance.

Cut to last Wednesday. On March 25, Dua Lipa dropped a single ‘Break My Heart’ from her upcoming album, along with a music video for the song. This release piqued my interest. The song SLAPPED. Inspired by the eighties hit ‘Need You Tonight’ by INXS, this track is funky and begs to be repeated. I was also a huge fan of the visuals in the music video, a colorful, everchanging disco utopia. Because of this, I began anticipating Dua’s album release that was due in a few days.

After listening to Future Nostalgia, I’m willing to say that it’s the best pop album I’ve heard since Ariana Grande’s release of thank u, next. This album is golden for so many reasons. Primarily, I’m a huge fan because of how Dua Lipa pays tribute to the eighties. The synth sounds and deep basslines throughout the songs are groovy, reminiscent of disco dance parties. Artists like Prince, Sheila E, and Gloria Gaynor come to mind. To quote my mom after she overheard me listening to the album, “This sounds like it was from when I was young!” 

Dua also surprised me with some of the themes of her songs. While most of the tracks are about love, lust, and romantic relationships, the last track diverges completely from the aforementioned themes. Titled ‘Boys Will Be Boys’, this song is a feminist anthem condemning toxic masculinity. Dua uses the phrase “boys will be boys” to criticize societal norms and empower women. The lyrics are creative and cheeky, and despite the song’s slower tempo, it ends the album on a great note. 

All in all, Future Nostalgia just makes you want to dance. The songs are crazy happy, which, given the current situation, might feel a little inappropriate. Is it okay to dance and be happy when our global climate is so grim? I think this album couldn’t have come at a better time. If you are looking for a pick-me-up to blast while staying at home, Future Nostalgia is for you. 

Dua Lipa surprised me with her second album in all the best ways. Future Nostalgia changed my opinion on the singer and is full of dance bangers. You can listen to it here.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Abby Gross is a sophomore at BU studying neuroscience! Shawty likes listening to music, being outside, eating dim sum, and hanging out with neat people.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.