The Dos and Don’ts of Winter Shoes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Shopping for winter shoes can be difficult. Not only do we want (need?) them to be cute, we need them to keep our feet warm and be able to handle the nasty winter weather January is sure to bring. Here are some tips to take with you on your post-holidays shopping trip. 

DO: 

Wear taller boots 

Tall boots will help keep snow or puddles from splashing into your boots. Wet socks will make your feet even colder, and there’s almost nothing worse than wet jeans. Plus the extra material covering your legs will help keep you that much warmer. Over-the-knee boots are also a great trend to continue into winter! 

DON’T: 

Wear suede shoes 

The wintery slush can be suede’s worst enemy, and you don’t want to damage such beautiful shoes. If you really can’t resist the urge to continue the suede trend on your feet, invest in a waterproofing spray (which also works for leather shoes). 

DO: 

Buy your boots a little larger 

Buy your boots a little larger than normal so you can wear them with thicker socks. While boots provide some warmth on their own, it’s always smart to be able to wear good winter socks as well. 

DON’T: 

Wear white shoes 

While they may look adorable in a pic against the snowy ground, white shoes are a risky winter fashion choice. As the months go on and the pretty snow turns to grey sludge, white gets dirty quickly. 

DO: 

Wear a chunky heel 

Winter doesn’t mean you have to stop wearing your heels! Thicker heels are easier to walk in and are helpful for traversing slippery winter terrain (or city streets). Heeled boots with some traction on the sole are a good idea too. 

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis