DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Recipe by Gimme Some Oven

September 10th. It was a very special day for me. No- it wasn’t the day that I met my prince charming. It also wasn’t the day that I received my first A at BU. Nope, not even close.

September 10th was the day I had my first pumpkin spice latte of the season. Starbucks began advertising for the treasured beverage in August, and they began serving it in coffee shops worldwide on September 2nd. I told myself that that was too soon. So I waited 8 days, and finally gave in to PSL peer pressure.

As much as I love getting pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks, I can’t exactly afford spending all of my dining points on daily coffees.

One day, I stumbled across the best online post I had ever seen. Gimme Some Oven, one of my favorite foodie blogs, posted the recipe on their blog. I started freaking out- I could make this on my own!

The recipe requires ingredients that can be picked up at Shaw’s, Trader Joe’s, or Whole Foods.

PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE

PREP TIME: 5 MINUTESTOTAL TIME: 5 MINUTES

YIELD: 1 SERVING

Learn how to make homemade pumpkin spice lattes (and homemade pumpkin spice syrup/concentrate) with this simple recipe.

INGREDIENTS

PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE INGREDIENTS:

•   1 shot (1.5 ounces or 3 tablespoons) espresso or strongly-brewed hot coffee

•   1 shot (1.5 ounces or 3 tablespoons) pumpkin spice syrup (see below)

•   6 ounces (3/4 cup) steamed milk, any kind

•   optional toppings: whipped cream (or vegan coconut whipped cream), caramel sauce, ground cinnamon

•   PUMPKIN SPICE SYRUP:

•   1 cup water

•   2/3 cup brown sugar*

•   1/3 cup pumpkin puree

•   1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

•   1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

METHOD

TO MAKE THE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE:

Add all ingredients together in a mug and stir to combine. Top with optional toppings if desired.

TO MAKE THE PUMPKIN SPICE SYRUP:

Whisk together water, brown sugar, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice together in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 3 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir in vanilla extract, and remove from heat.

Use immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 1 week.

*You can either use all brown sugar, or half brown half granulated sugar, or more/less sugar, OR sub in a different kind of sugar all together. Everyone has different sugar needs/preferences, so do what works best for you. This recipe is the closest I came (still using less sugar) to the syrup that most people order at coffee shops.

**Recipe updated September 2014.

(c) 2013 Gimme Some Oven. All rights reserved.

Unfortunately, you must have access to a kitchen to create the DIY pumpkin spice latte. Many dorms have kitchens located in their basements, though, so it’s not a lost cause! Get your girls together and have a PSL making party today!

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis