D.I.Y Holiday Gift Ideas That Are Budget-Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s the beginning of December, which means that the holidays are just around the corner! With the holidays come countless white elephants, Secret Santas, and holiday parties too. Not to mention, the act of gift giving that is considered tradition for those who choose to celebrate the holidays. That means it’s time to bust out the festive wrapping paper and make sure you’re on your gift wrapping A-game.

I have never been the best at knowing what to buy people for the holidays, even those closest to me like my parents and best friend. If you’re anything like me, then maybe the stress of trying to come up with the perfect gift causes you to push all of your gift-giving responsibilities to the absolute last minute. Next thing you know, it’s Christmas Eve and you’re running around the mall trying to find the “perfect” gift.

If that sounds like you, you’re not alone. When I find myself at a complete loss of what to buy, my go-to solution is to get my craft on and make the gift instead! Making a gift for the holidays is a great solution to any type of gift-giving woes you might be feeling. Plus, making a gift is a great alternative to buying one as it shows you put in an effort and adds a personal touch. You’ll also be saving money, so everyone wins!

Here’s a list of DIY gift ideas that would be perfect for every type of person in your life.

1. For the Person Who Loves to Cook 

Credit: HGTV, DIY Paint Dipped Utensils (Check out the tutorial from HGTV!)

Maybe your Grandma has a knack for perfecting old family recipes or you have a friend who obsesses over recipes on the Food Network. Help them add a pop of color to their kitchen with this beautiful and easy gift. You should be able to get all of the materials such as paint, tape, and food-safe shellac from your local craft store, so you can get straight to crafting!

2. For the Coffee Addict in Your Life

Credit: Don’t Mind If I Do Blog, DIY Sharpie Mugs (Check out the tutorial from Living Well Spending Less!)

These mugs are a super cute way to show that person, who can’t live without a mug of coffee or tea, that you care. Pro Tip: make sure you use oil-based paint sharpies when drawing your designs so that they can survive being washed!

3. For the Long-Distance Relationships

Credit: Nicole Silvera

There are SO many simple DIY gift ideas on Pinterest for Long-Distance Relationships, both romantic and platonic. Here’s an example of a gift I actually made for my boyfriend as a going away gift for college to show that you don’t have to be an artist to make a heartfelt gift. It’s not perfect, but at least it shows that I put in the effort! It was super easy to make and I only needed a few materials. I got the America-shaped wood piece from my local craft store, used Puffy Paint to write the quote, and voila–a meaningful gift that I was able to do in a night!

4. For Your BFF’s 

Credit: Unknown, DIY Friendship Bracelets

I’m sure we’re all familiar with the friendship bracelet making from childhood. But, who said these colorful statement pieces ever went out of style? Make some matching jewelry to rock with your squad so the world can see who your rockin’ with. There is so much you could do with these! You could make a personalized word for each person or make matching bracelets to unify the group. Either way, you and your gals will always know that you have each other’s backs, through and through!

5. For the Sentimental Person in Your Life

Credit: Jillianastasia, DIY Collages

This gift is perfect for the person who you have made a TON of memories with. It could be anyone, from a best friend you’ve had since childhood to your parents (this would def make mom cry). Like number 3, there is so much inspo out there for photo collages. Diys.com has a great list of different collage ideas that are both creative and super easy to make!

I hope this has helped you notice that sometimes you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to give someone the perfect gift this holiday season!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Nicole is a freshman at Boston University majoring in Journalism. She originally hails from Miami, Florida but has chosen to leave the endless summer behind for actual seasons! Along with her passion for writing, she loves reading, listening to music, and exploring the city of Boston.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.