A Definitive Ranking of Obama’s Best Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Though this election season was fraught with turmoil and, to many, ended in disappointment, there is still one man who keeps it real and remains a beacon of positivity throughout all of this: Barack Obama. Regardless of political affiliation and whether or not people agreed with his policies, many people still think of Obama as the coolest president we’ve ever had. He may be the 44th president of our nation, but he’s number 1 in our hearts. Here are some moments that give you an idea of why that’s true.

9) When He Sang for America

To be honest, Obama could read me the dictionary and I’d feel soothed. So this pure moment when he serenaded all of us with a rendition of “Let’s Stay Together” by Al Green was just simply wonderful and totally shows how freaking down-to-earth he truly is.

8) His Callouts

Certainly, we’ve had presidents with great comebacks before. But not of them even come close to Obama’s roasts. Whether it happens in a debate or in a speech, our 44th president always makes sure people know who’s boss.

7) Pete Souza’s Photographs

These are more sentimental observances on Obama’s presidency, but a great moment nevertheless. Pete Souza, an excellent photographer for the White House, beautifully captures the very real and hard side of being president whilst simultaneously showcasing Obama’s fun personality.

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/11/the-obama-years-through-the-lens-of-white-house-photographer-pete-souza/508052/

(Photo Courtesy of Pete Souza/White House)

6) His Mean Tweet videos

Watching Obama read mean tweets is a genuine American treasure. This is a man who takes criticism in stride and also keeps a lighthearted banter about—unlike like some politicians in the news.

5) When he said “Obama Out”

I don’t even think I have to explain the perfection of this perfectly timed moment.

Doing a mic drop on the presidency.

4) The Pardoning of the Turkey

I can’t explain why I love these moments so much, but it’s so refreshing to see a president joke with his daughters about a tradition that is not even that important to America. Damn, if only I could have such inside jokes with Obama.

3) His First Inauguration Dance with Michelle

Will anyone ever forget the beauty and love that we were all privileged to witness in Barack and Michelle’s first inaugural dance? I certainly won’t. And the fact that Beyonce was there too? Definition of #couplegoals.

2) Obama and Biden’s entire friendship

What will the White House do without this dynamic duo? From Biden’s corny jokes to Obama’s genuine responses, these two have a friendship for the ages. Making all other presidents and vice-presidents jealous since ’08!

1) How He Made History

Finally, Obama was iconic for his role as the first black person to hold the presidential office in the United States. Though this country has many people today still enveloped in ignorant racism, he remains proof that the goodness of people in this country will prevail. So, for one last time—thanks, Obama.

Maddie is a senior majoring in journalism and public relations in the College of Communication at Boston University. Hailing from suburban Philadelphia, Maddie is incredibly happy to be back in Boston for her fourth year. This year, she's looking forward to spending all of her money on brunch, downing lots of coffee, and of course, writing and editing at Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Maddie is involved with her sorority and exploring all of Boston.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.