Confessions of a Bleachoholic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Disclaimer: I am not a certified hairstylist or colorist. Rather, I am just an overly confident and broke college student who trusts herself and understands that if I mess up my hair, it is my own responsibility. Everyone’s hair is different, so check in with your colorist before you take the dive.

Hello, my name is Emily, and I’m a bleachoholic.

In all seriousness, I have been bleaching my hair for about two years, and I do not see myself stopping anytime soon.

During my senior year of high school, I became more adventurous with my hair and gradually started to lighten it. It was simple: when I was bored, I would bleach my hair a little bit more. It started as a dark blonde that melted into icy tips. By graduation, the bright white hair crept its way up, and eventually my entire head was a silvery-white.

Since committing to white hair, I have learned a few lessons that have helped save my locks in the long run.

1. It takes time.

Bleaching can be extremely damaging to the integrity of your hair, so you should not expect to go from deep, thick, dark hair to silver-white in one day. It took me nearly eight months to transition slowly and fully (although I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant at first).

2. If you don’t trust Yourself, go to a professional.

If mixing your own chemicals and then applying the mixture to your head scares you, head to your local salon. They are the experts and they will get you to the perfect blond hue.  If available, ask the salon to use Olaplex. It is a unique bond repairer that stops bleach from damaging your hair as much as it typically would, but it is only sold to salon professionals.

3. If you do trust yourself, learn your tools and products.

Before my first trip to the beauty supply store, I made sure to do a hefty amount of research – because bleach is no joke. This not only will boost your confidence, but you will be more knowledgeable about the things you are slopping onto your head.  The downside to DIY-ing is the lack of access to Olaplex. Instead, try Ion Brilliance Repair Solutions Rapid Repair Kit, a two-step system that acts similarly and is affordable.

4. Wash less, but make it colorful.

Americans often wash their hair every day. Break this routine to protect your bleached hair. Washing your hair too regularly causes thinning hair and can damage the follicle, and you definitely do not need any more damage to your hair after bleaching. Opt for a deep violet shampoo that will gently tone your hair every wash. My favorite is the Blond Brilliance Cool Lathering Toner because it eliminates all brassy tones without any sulfates, plus it’s vegan!

5. Use dry shampoo to hide the oil.

One of the benefits to mildly destroying your hair with bleach is that it hides oil much better than dark hair colors. I’ve also noticed that my hair does not produce as much oil as it used to. Dry Shampoo is always good to have on hand, but opt for an alcohol-free formula to prevent any additional damage. I love Aveda’s Shampure Dry Shampoo.Tthe bottle lasts forever and it makes your hair smell refreshed.

While you’re having fun with your hair, be sure to treat it right! Try to deep condition as much as possible and use heat tools as little as often. Have fun, blond bombshell! 

I am an Atlanta-raised writer living in Boston. I have had a fixation with magazines, pop culture and styling my whole life.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.