This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I have always loved sitcoms, but I started really appreciating stand-up comedy during my senior year of high school. Gary Gulman and John Mulaney are my all-time favorites, and I have been lucky enough to see Mulaney live twice, once for his Kid Gorgeous tour the summer after I graduated high school, and once at Comics Come Home last night!

Cam Neely created this comedy fundraiser, Comics Come Home, in honor of his parents he lost to cancer. All of the proceeds from the event went towards cancer research and the Neely House, a home for cancer patients and their families at Tufts Medical center. Denis Leary has been helping Neely organize and host the event for 25 years. Last night, Leary was given the honor of having November 9th deemed “Denis Leary Day” in the city of Boston by the Mayor for all his efforts in giving back.

Last night’s lineup consisted of Joe Yannetty, Pete Holmes, Lenny Clarke, Robert Kelly, Steven Wright, Kelly MacFarland, John Mulaney, and Bill Burr.

Prior to attending, I was not aware of all these comedians but it was an amazing experience to such talented performers one after the other. Steven Wright had the most unique style in that his set was made up entirely of one-liners. My friend and I did not know of him before and were pleasantly surprised by his hilariously strange delivery.

Still, even after being exposed to these new acts my favorite performer is still John Mulaney.

Credit: Meaghan Merriman

Mulaney’s stand-up can be described as both observational and self-deprecating. What I find aspirational about his humor is that it is hilarious, yet rarely ever offensive or divisive to the crowd. Many comedians struggle to write jokes that do not involve someone else as the victim, but Mulaney has managed to create multiple Netflix specials in which the only person who could be considered the butt of the joke is himself. Last night was the second time I saw him perform, and it was intoxicating to hear his new material, but different than the first time I saw him in that he seemed nervous. Maybe it was because the jokes were new, or he was performing in front of his peers, but his nervous energy came across and made him seem even more relatable.

My second favorite act of the night was Bill Burr.

Credit: Meaghan Merriman

Unlike John Mulaney, Burr’s humor purposefully divides the crowd. His jokes are so outrageous that they make all members of the audience uneasy. With jokes about gay pride month, abortion, women, and more, the crowd was uncomfortable, to say the least. I personally enjoyed his style last night, because although his content was dicey, it was evident there was awareness of the jokes he was making, rather than ignorance.

Burr is a talented comedian who knows how to get an audience’s attention. In my personal experience, his performance last night was enjoyable and hilarious. Thinking Bill Burr is funny may be a controversial opinion to have as a woman, and some of his stand-up specials do cross the line on sensitive subjects, but I cannot deny that he was very entertaining in his 15-minute set at Comics Come Home.

Comics Come Home makes me feel lucky to live in a city like Boston for my college years!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Meaghan Merriman is a junior studying Behavior & Health in Sargent College at Boston University. She is an Event Coordinator for CHAARG and a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.