A Collegiate Guide to Affordable Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all want to travel, but as college students, that’s easier said than done. Luckily, there are ways to make travel more afforadable! Check out these tip!

Plan Ahead

If you have the desire to go see the world, it is typically better to plan ahead because this is when tickets are the cheapest. Colleges release academic calendars a year or two in advance, so check out your school’s scheduled breaks for the future.

Save money

Start saving money as soon as you feel the urge to go on a trip. There are countless ways to do this: saving all the cash you come across, getting an extra job, budgeting, cutting out Ubers and restaurants, etc. You’ll be shocked by how much money you can save by using one (or more!) of these methods.

Commit

Commitment can be scary, but decide on a travel date and stick to it! If you are exploring with friends, make sure everyone involved is fully on-board to avoid any complications.

Google Flights

Once you have a date range in mind, start searching for the best flights. Use online flight finders to compare airlines. Google Flights has features that allow you to track prices, and it presents you with cheaper travel date options when available.

Find cheap accommodations

Take time to explore your options. Compare prices on Airbnb to discounted hotels on Hotwire to see which is more affordable. (Reminder: often times you can find Arbnb’s with kitchens, which cuts back the cost of dining out for every meal). If you are not picky about where you sleep, look into local hostels or available couches on Couchsurfer.

Pack light

Budget airlines have all kinds of fare traps, including baggage. Try to fit everything into a carry-on bag because that is the most affordable option—plus, you don’t have to worry about the airline losing checked baggage and you can skip the long wait for your suitcase.

Study Abroad!

If you cannot find the time to get away, opt to study abroad! It is an amazing opportunity to see other countries while earning credits. A semester abroad through Boston University is cheaper than standard tuition, so why not? 

Have a great trip! 

I am an Atlanta-raised writer living in Boston. I have had a fixation with magazines, pop culture and styling my whole life.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.