College Student’s Guide to Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Swamped daily with homework, tests, and real world responsibilities, being a college student can get stressful and overwhelming.  Sometimes you just want to sit in your bed, turn off your brain and instead, turn on a good show to get you through the week (trust me, I get it).  Thanks to Netflix and its convenient placement on your laptop that you probably had open anyway while doing work, taking that break just got a whole lot easier.  Whether you are stuck inside during the Boston winter craving a TV binge or looking for a way to procrastinate studying, Netflix has your back.  Here’s a list of 6 shows that college students can’t seem to get enough of.

1. Scandal 

Genre: Drama, Crime

Based in Washington, D.C., a team of lawyers led by the powerful and fabulous Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) work to make political scandals disappear while also dealing with secrets of their own.  If you love crime shows and the nail biting suspense that comes with figuring out high power controversy then this show is for you. With three seasons on Netflix and the fourth recently debuting on ABC Thursday September 25th, Scandal has truly taken over everyone’s TV screens!

2. Breaking Bad

Genre: Drama, Crime

After a high school chemistry teacher is diagnosed with terminal cancer, he decides to use his knowledge as a chemist and team up with a former student to do the unthinkable, make crystal meth, all in an attempt to secure his family’s financial situation before he dies.  This twisted yet addictive five-season show has caught the attention of college students across campuses and is definitely worth taking the time to watch.                

3. Orange is the New Black

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) must leave her life in New York and go to a woman’s prison after a crime she previously committed comes back to haunt her.  Comical yet raunchy, this show takes you through Piper’s new life as an inmate while simultaneously telling the different stories of each person she meets once inside.  Recently adding the second season to the website, Orange is the New Black will have you chained to your computer. 

…And did I mention, ‘Crazy Eyes’ actress Uzo Aduba was a BU grad?!  Even more incentive to watch!

4. New Girl

Genre: Comedy

Recently single, Jessica Day (Zooey Deschanel), a quirky school teacher, decides to move in with three single guys who attempt to teach her about life.  Each episode is based on day-to-day awkward life experiences that these four friends tackle together.  If you’re looking for a light show that will give you a good laugh, New Girl is a must watch!

5.  House of Cards

Genre: Drama

Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey), a Democrat from South Carolina’s 5th Congressional District, is determined to gain the power he thinks he deserves after not being chosen as Secretary of State.  This two season Netflix original series is perfect if you’re looking for a show filled with corruption, crime, and power struggle. 

6.  Grey’s Anatomy 

Genre: Medical Drama

This ten series show, nine of which are on Netflix, is all about drama in the medical world.  Following the lives of interns and residents, we see the maturation and development of each character as they become real doctors in a Seattle hospital, while also trying to balance their personal lives.  If you like watching what goes on in the ER and the excitement of relationship drama, committing to this longer series is totally worth it!  Also it’s ten seasons of McDreamy, what could be better?

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.