This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

“Where words fail, music speaks”- Hans Christian Andersen

Music is a huge part of my life and I imagine if you’re reading this article then that means it’s a huge part of your life as well (or you at least enjoy music). When walking across BU’s campus, my favorite thing to do is listen to music. It wakes me up and puts me in a good mood for my morning classes. When I have my headphones in, I feel like I’m in my own little bubble where nothing can bother me (partially because my headphones are sound proof so I never hear anyone when they’re talking to me… oops). New music is being released all the time and living with people with different taste in music has opened up my realm of sound possibilities exponentially since I got to college. Although I love a ton of songs artists, and genres, I have managed to narrow it down to my top 10 songs for my college playlist (in no particular order):

1. Catherine- Magic Man.

One of the girls on my floor (HI KATIE) introduced me to this song last month and I was instantly obsessed with it. I know I’m a little late to the Magic Man party, but it’s a good song nonetheless. Its one of my pump up songs because it just makes me want to dance and sing along because it’s a song I feel we can all relate to in some way. 

2. Side to Side- Ariana Grande.

Ah yes! The girl who when they meet me they say “Oh, like Ariana Grande?” (fun fact we spell it differently). This is my ultimate get ready song or my anthem with my friend Janelle. We were waiting for an appointment for close to two hours and I can’t tell you how many times we listened to it. Its just so fun and Nicki Minaj is bae. Another song that makes me want to dance and sing along to it. Enough said. 

3. All Night Longer- Sammy Adams.

I wont lie to you guys, I go to parties and this is the ultimate getting ready song because it just puts you in the “I want to party and dance and have fun” mindset in my opinion. I also listen to it on the way to class because it’s a song that just wakes me up and puts me in a good mood for the day because it’s so upbeat.

4. Strange Love, Young God, Colors… literally anything by Halsey.

If you look through my music or my “most played” playlist a lot of it will be Halsey. I don’t love everything she’s put out, but most of her songs are among my favorite things to listen to at any time of day because of the variety. She has upbeat songs and slow songs, songs about love, and about family. She has a song that almost anyone can relate to and I love it. 

5. Let Me Love You- Justin Bieber and DJ Snake.

I love this song for a few reasons. One: it has a nice message- don’t give up because someone is there to support you and help you through things. Two: it’s upbeat and great to listen to when you’re in a bad mood or just want something that will get stuck in your head for all of the right reasons. Three: the guys on my floor listen to this while they’re doing chemistry homework (shoutout to Aleks which makes us all want to cry) to remind themselves not to give up even though they really REALLY want to.

6. Don’t Mind- Kent Jones.

Ah yes, that song that’s in all of the musicallys. Its quite catchy and I don’t know, I just enjoy listening to it. Maybe it doesn’t have a larger message, but I think it’s just a good song. 

7. Closer- Chainsmokers and Halsey.

Most people I know love this song and for good reason, it’s amazing. Two hugely talented artists came together to make this song (two of my favorites). And in my interpretation is has the message that you gotta live while you’re young and be with the people you want to be with whether is a significant other, friends, or family. Remember the phrase “we ain’t never gettin’ older” are words to live by- hold onto your youth forever because it’s a lot of fun. Take advantage of it. 

8. This Is What You Came For- Rihanna and Calvin Harris.

I’m the type of person that loves upbeat instrumentals like Bigfoot or anything Martin Garrix and the music in this song is right up that alley; so, I love it. It’s also a great song for any type of party because it’s an amazing dance song. Plus, Rihanna is bae, end of story. 

9. Be Alright- Ariana Grande.

Now this is a song I found yesterday… another party I am so late to (get it together Arianna), and I’ve had it on repeat ever since. Ariana is talented and that contributes to the song, but I also love the message. The song is basically saying you just have to decide that everything is going to be okay and then everything really will be. Fake it till you make it comes to mind here because if you force yourself to have a mindset about something then it tends to become your natural mindset. 

10. Don’t Let Me Down- Daya and the Chainsmokers.

Another catchy dance song that I cant get enough of. Daya is talented AF. Chainsmokers are talented AF. Need I say more? 

Music is something I can always count on whether I need to pump myself up, cry, wake up, or put myself in a better mood because there are songs that speak to everyone and to every emotion or situation someone is experiencing. Am I a little too obsessed with music? Maybe. But it has gotten me through some incredibly difficult times. I hope you all enjoy getting a little insight into who I am as a person because I really believe you can tell a lot about a person by their music taste… although I am one of those annoying people that when you ask me what kind of music I like my answer is “I like everything except the things I don’t like.” Sorry not sorry. 

Hi, I'm Arianna! I'm a senior at Boston University majoring in journalism. I love cats, food, hockey, and anything beauty related. I write about "How to College" and what has helped me in my transition process from tiny high school to huge university. I hope you enjoy!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.