Style > Beauty

A College Girl’s Guide to Essential Fall Skincare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A brisk wind, the lovely sound of leaves crunching beneath your boots, and the smell of warm apple cider wafting through the air are more than enough to make a girl smile in the midst of collegiate schoolwork and drama. Fall is one of the most beautiful times of the year, especially in the lovely city of Boston, where the changing of the seasons is practically an art form. But just as the city doesn’t seem like it could be any more stunning…the cold fall air chaps lips, parches skin, and allows split ends to grow like weeds. Below, find a list of skin and body care essentials for surviving the sudden chill and keeping that hot girl summer glow alive!

Skincare

Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream Daily Moisturizer

A fantastic face moisturizer is a must-have for fighting off the inevitable dry skin that arrives during fall. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream Daily Moisturizer is a cult-favorite, having been included in BirchBox packages and praised for its use of “squalane, avocado oil, and apricot kernel oil” by Refinery29

LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask

LANEIGE, a Korean skincare company, has continued to top the charts as one of the world’s best skincare brands for years. The brand has an endless amount of devoted followers, many of which use the mask above. An Allure Best of Beauty Award Winner in 2017, the mask hydrates the face overnight, leaving a dewy and soft finish in the morning. Slather it on after your late-night study session and wake up looking refreshed!

Sephora Collection Eye Masks

These Sephora Collection Eye Masks are a fantastic way to hydrate around one’s eyes. The harsh winds that blow through Boston love to tear at the delicate skin surrounding the eyes; by applying one of these masks, one can depuff, hydrate, sooth, and luminize the region. Hydrating around the eyes is a fantastic way to look more energized, as well as a solution to skin irritation from dryness. Plus, the Sephora Collection is effective and more affordable than high-end products.

LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask

Just as beloved as the LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask, this lip mask restores chapped lips overnight. Apply a liberal amount, allow the sweet berry mix smell to lull you to sleep, and wake up with plump, smooth lips!

Body Care

LUSH Ocean Salt Body Scrub

Nothing can distract a person from a fantastic day more than dry, itchy skin. It plagues everyone in the fall and winter, but there’s an easy fix: regular exfoliation. LUSH’s Ocean Salt Body Scrub (which can be used on the face as well), is used religiously by fans. The scrub, which includes coconut oil and avocado butter for hydration, gently exfoliates dry skin off of the body. Better yet, the citrus scent energizes and awakens, making it essential for tired college students. 

Vaseline Clinical Care Extremely Dry Skin Overnight Cream

Sometimes, simple is better! High-end products are a luxurious treat, but drugstore products can be just as effective (and sometimes even more!) This Vaseline cream is perfect for sensitive skin, especially because it is fragrance-free. It won the Allure 2018 Best of Beauty Award for sensitive skin because fans loved it just that much. 

Hair Care

LUSH H’Suan Wen Hua Hair Treatment

Dry hair is never a good thing, especially when one has to choose between making it to class on time or actually brushing out all of the knots that accumulated overnight. This treatment is simple: apply it to hair liberally, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then shampoo it out! It smells like a warm cup of chai and leaves hair silky smooth, making it the perfect way to unwind at the end of the day. 

There you have it- the perfect guide for getting through the fall and winter in Boston without having to worry about chapped lips, dry skin, or dry hair. Now you have more time to worry about weekend plans and do your work. Happy fall!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Amille is a senior at Boston University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English. Her passions include travel, cooking, and creative writing; when she isn't testing new recipes and working on her first novel, she's spending time with pets and making memories with family.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.