This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By: Kate Thrane

Last summer, I developed a flaky rosacea-meets-acne-type skin rash. Three different dermatologist visits later, I was informed I had acquired perioral dermatitis. Perioral dermatitis (PD) is a bumpy rash that usually forms a ring around the mouth, and can sometimes spread to the eyes. It’s impossible to cover up (because your skin flakes immediately following makeup application), painful, and embarrassing. After a lot of research and multiple discussions with my dermatologist, I discovered an obvious and annoying culprit: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a chemical usually found in foaming face washes and shampoos. Basically, it breaks down the skin’s moisture barrier and renders the skin defenseless against infection. My face wash, shampoo, and toothpaste all contained SLS. 

The interesting part is that SLS has been a controversial chemical for a long time, with people calling for the FDA to ban it. The reason many brands use SLS is because it is a cheap way to make their products foam. There are many chemicals lurking in our cosmetics, skincare, and haircare products that are not required to be listed on the label. The FDA permits formaldehyde, a carcinogen, and coal tar, also a carcinogen, in hundreds of products used every day. Formaldehyde is typically found in makeup, skincare, nail polish, and hair products. Coal tar is found in eye makeup and acts as the tint. Compared to the European Union, which bans formaldehyde in products, the FDA is failing the American people. Juice Beauty has a skincare and makeup line. They have partnered with Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP to bring consumers a line of fantastic, safe night creams, lip products, and foundations. Their mascaras are free from parabens, which can mess with the body’s estrogen and, if soaked up by the eye, can be found in breast tissue. Their ingredient list includes soothing and antioxidant rich aloe vera, grape juice, and carrot root. Their “unacceptable ingredients list” bans parabens, sulfates, and formaldehyde. 

Safe beauty not only matters for ourselves, but also for future generations. We are just beginning to learn the ramifications of these chemicals on our bodies. It’s time to hold brands accountable for using chemicals such as sodium lauryl sulfate, formaldehyde, and coal tar. The more we, the consumers, talk about safe cosmetics, the more the brands will listen. It’s time to take a stand in the name of our health because we deserve better. For more information and to get involved, visit safecosmetics.org.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.