Style > Fashion

3 Chic Fashion Staples For Winter In The City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve always said that winter is my favorite season for styling outfits. The freezing cold weather in New England allows for creative layering with fun jackets and accessories. The name of the game this season is “understated luxury,” described as simple elegance without anything tacky or too flashy.

Wool Coat

A sleek and classic wool coat is an absolute must. My personal favorite is the Only Coat from Aritzia. I have it in black, but a gray or brown would also be a nice staple for your closet.

This particular coat is made of fine Italian wool and cashmere and will last for a lifetime. It’s oversized, so it can be worn with many layers. Pair this coat with anything to elevate any outfit.

Leather Gloves

Leather gloves are a great way to keep your hands warm while looking elegant and chic. These are totally classic and a worthy investment.

I have two pairs, one in black and one in cherry red. My pairs are borrowed from my grandma, but they can be found almost anywhere.

Boots
The Lalaboots And Leaves
Her Campus Media

Another way to elevate an outfit is to trade in your sneakers for black leather boots. Pair these with some dark wash bootcut jeans and a nice sweater or blouse. I also love to wear these with a maxi skirt.

I would recommend getting Frye boots because they’re my absolute favorite. They’re so durable, yet so stunning. 

Make sure you pick up these items to look and feel put-together and warm this winter!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Laura Tickey is a writer and editor at the Her Campus at Boston University Chapter. She is a junior at Boston University majoring in journalism and minoring in history. She loves to write stories about music, films, and events in the Boston area. Many of her articles also feature life and style advice.