burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Chemical X: The Newest BU Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Princeton psychologists Janine Willis and Alexander Todorov have proven that it takes a tenth of a second to form an impression of a person. A tenth of a second – that is, to put it blatantly, 100 milliseconds. You’ve got milliseconds to make an impression, so you better make it a damn good one. And well, what better way than with the captivating and unique attire of Chemical X.  

Chemical X is a clothing brand founded by Paolo Moreno, a student here at Boston University. He is originally from Miami, FL and it is within the very streets of his hometown that he found his passion of streetwear and photography. With his passion and dedicated effort arose the start-up brand that is on it’s way to shelves next to companies like Supreme and Raf Simons.  

His attire experiments with prints, labels, and bold logos. A clean cut and unique design that stands out, appealing generally to young adults. The style definitely breaks the norm – an interest to many millennials – like his role model, A$AP Rocky. Rocky is known for steering away from the traditional rapper fashion and expressing himself in an unadorned yet bold assemblage.  

As students and young adults, we are hungry for a life bigger than what we are. We want to succeed and have our name remembered. We want to make our parents or significant others proud. Yet what prevails most of the time is fear. Fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of commitment, fear of change. It is these very fears that stop us from releasing our limitless and remarkable potential.  

The potential stemming from Paolo’s ideas turned into the successful company he has today. When asking him how he started Chemical X he highlighted how, “anyone can do anything in the end, it’s just about putting in effort.” Furthermore, if we do follow through with our dreams, we’ll even inspire others. Paolo comments, “A bunch of kids from the Key (an island near his hometown) have gotten super inspired and started their own [companies].”  

The way in which he has been expanding his company is by, “sending products to artists and people who want to wear [Chemical X].” He has sent jackets and bags to rappers like J-stash who publicize photos of his products in order to increase clientele. With this, his company has grown substantially and so has his confidence. For when asked if he has doubts, he stated he had none.  

When wearing this brand, you are wearing a message. A message of style, of standing out in a world full of monotonous beings, and of following what you love. The founder, Paolo said it best, “You need to start and not stop.”; you’ve got to keep on trying until, and even after, you succeed. Everything you do, say, and wear can effect that tenth of a second that attracts others – or not.  

So, what impression are you gonna make?  

ielwaw@bu.edu
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.