This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with mythology… I always seem to gravitate towards myths and legends in my media consumption. If you’re just getting into mythology or if you are a long time consumer of mythological media, here are 5 mythology related media that I would highly recommend:

Blood of Zeus (TV Series, Netflix)

Blood of Zeus is definitely the most recent work on this list, as it was just released this past October. As of recent, Netflix has been trying to create more animated shows and movies, with this series being one of the first that they’ve explicitly labeled as an “anime.” Documenting the illegitimate son of Zeus, Blood of Zeus aims to create its own plausible story that could realistically exist in the Greek mythological world. It’s very entertaining to watch, and I definitely would recommend it for people that enjoy action films or TV shows.

Myths & Monsters (TV Series, Netflix)

Myths & Monsters is a documentary series that tackles global mythological history and how it has impacted societies. Narrator Nicholas Day brings in history, sociology, and anthropology scholars to analyze and investigate the social contexts behind common topics of myths and legends from around the world. It’s definitely worth a watch if you’re interested in mythology in a more historical context.

Let’s Talk About Myths, Baby! (Podcast, Spotify)

I know I’ve mentioned this podcast before, but that’s how good it is! Liv, the host, tells Greek and Roman mythology tales with a satirical, feminist twist that is equal parts refreshing and insightful. A must-listen-to for those into more modern tellings of mythology.

Mythology (Podcast, Spotify)

Mythology is a podcast that I just recently discovered, although it has been around for a few years now,. Mythology is a series, owned by the podcast network Parcast (Tales, Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories), that narrates popular stories from Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and other mythologies. Instead of just retelling the stories, the podcast actually dramatizes them with voice actors — my personal favorite aspect of the podcast. This is a fun one to get into if you like podcasts that offer a more immersive storytelling experience.

Circe (Book)

Circe, pronounced SUR-see, shares a more nuanced version of the story of Circe, one of the most infamous women in Greek mythology. The book, written by author Madeline Miller, seems to challenge readers to look deeper into the portrayal of women in Greek mythology. This book is one to add to your reading list if you’re looking for mythology fiction targeted towards a more adult audience (I’m looking at you, Percy Jackson & the Olympians fans).

I’m always looking for the best mythology related media and hope to find more in the future, but for now I hope you enjoy these recommendations!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Cameryn Richardson is a sophomore at BU, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies. Outside of writing for HCBU, she is an international peer mentor, involved in Art Club, and loves to find new restaurants and coffee shops to visit. Find her on Instagram @cvmrich!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.