BU “Buccaneer” Wins Free Burritos!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For the next month, Forest Lin, a BU sophomore, will be living a burrito-lover’s dream. Lin, who is majoring in film and television, received exciting news on November 3rd that he’d won the Qdoba Halloween Costume Contest grand prize of free burritos for an entire month!The contest, which started on October 28th and ended on the 1st, offered free burritos for one month to the contestant who could get the most people to “like” a picture of them in their Halloween costume on the contest Facebook page. After hearing about the contest through a friend, Lin was determined to win. He posted a picture of himself on the page dressed as a “Buccaneer” full with a pirate get up, an eye patch, and a one-dollar bill hanging from each ear, and “spammed” all of his Facebook friends to help him out.
In an amazing show of support, the picture received an astonishing 367 likes in 24 hours, in comparison with many other contestants who only managed to collect several dozen. Lin admits that at one point, “I almost let cockiness get the best of me,” and stopped collecting “likes”, which allowed one competitor in a Black Swan costume to creep within 10 “likes” of his significant lead. But in the last stretch, he held off and claimed the title.
As for what Lin plans to do with his prize, he’s thinking very strategically.
“For the next month, I’m going to try to get a burrito everyday so I don’t waste it. I’ve also got a lot of people requesting for one already,” he laughs.
With two Qdobas on campus, Lin won’t have to trek far to get his daily fix.
“If I’d known about this contest before I came to school, I wouldn’t have gotten a meal plan,” he jokes. 

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.