This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As we know, cable TV is fading away and subscription services are the new way to watch all your fave shows and movies. But, a lot of these services don’t offer TV options from outside of the US, which, if you’re obsessed with British culture like me, is really inconvenient. So, in comes BritBox. (Please note how similar this name is to Bird Box, and visualize how many times I’ve typed that instead of the actual name).

Photo Credit: The British TV Place

What is it?

BritBox is a new subscription service in the US and Canada that allows you access to British TV shows, movies, and documentaries from the past and present.

What does it offer?

BritBox offers a variety of options from Britain’s two main TV channels: BBC and ITV. If you go to their website, they have a list of all of the available programs in alphabetical order. They have classic Doctor Who episodes, Good Morning Britain, and so many different documentaries, from Ancient Britain to Meghan and Harry.

Photo Credit: flixed

How much is it?

BritBox is only $6.99 a month, or $69.99 for a year subscription. They offer a 7-day free trial so you can test out the service to see if you’ll like it. They also offer an easy cancelation policy, so if it doesn’t work out, you don’t have to worry.

Is it worth it?

I’m gonna be totally honest; I love British TV and I am always interested in watching their content, however… I’m not willing to dish out the money for BritBox. Although the service has a lot of good options, after looking through everything, I was uninterested by most of the content. Besides Good Morning Britain — which I can catch the highlights on YouTube anyway — I didn’t see any other shows that caught my eye. I have titles that I want to watch but they just weren’t listed on BritBox’s site. This, of course, is due to their contract with only two British TV channels, and not all the popular shows are shown on BBC and ITV; Love Island, for example, is shown on ITV2. If you’re really interested in new, different content and tired of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon originals, then this service could be for you.

Who knows, maybe in the future BritBox will expand their offerings and then we can all jump on board, but for now, I’d suggest saving your money.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.