Breakup Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’ve just gotten out of a relationship you’re probably wondering, “what now?” And although you are feeling sad, you’re only allowed to mourn this guy (crying, sleeping, being anti-social) for a few weeks tops. After that, it’s time to get up and move on. Follow these post-breakup tips and you’ll be feeling better in no time!

·      Don’t text your ex– this is the number one most important rule of breaking up, DO NOT- I repeat- DO NOT text him! Instead, recruit a close friend or family member to be the replacement texter. Contact them, instead of him, every time you’re feeling like you’re about to crack. 

·      No sad music– I know it’s hard, but you must resist the urge to listen to those tearjerker songs that remind you of him. The one exception to this rule is Adele’s album, 21, which is full of breakup songs that are both sad and inspiring. Prime example: “Rolling In The Deep.”

·      Light, fresh air, and exercise are essential– Do not lock yourself in your room with the shades pulled, sleeping all hours of the day. Open your windows, let some light in, or better yet, go outside! Go for a walk or hit the gym- exercise is your best defense against breakup sadness. Not only does it release endorphins, which naturally make you happier, but you’re also working on getting a killer body. And as Khloe Kardashian says, “The best form of revenge is a good body.”

·      Retail therapy (in moderation)– Don’t go crazy with this one, but shopping does tend to soothe the soul. You don’t even have to buy anything, just go window-shopping, try on some new outfits, make a purchase or two- but beware, this satisfaction from buying things is only temporary. Don’t burn a hole in your pocket!

·      Take a boy breather– Just because you’re newly single does not mean you need to jump into bed with the next guy you see. Slow down and try to enjoy some alone time. You just got out of a relationship and now is your time to get to know yourself as an individual, without him in your life. Of course, hooking up can be fun, but give it some time before you go on the prowl for new guys. Once you’ve gotten used to your new life as a single girl, you can definitely incorporate boys back into your life.

·      Go out and have fun! – Just because you shouldn’t be focusing on boys doesn’t mean you can’t go out with your girlfriends. You’re in Boston, so go enjoy the city! Just don’t stay in by yourself on the weekends, or things will get very lonely and depressing. If you want a night in, invite a friend over and have a spa and movie night, sometimes girl talk is the best therapy of all.  

·      Time heals all wounds– Remember that these feelings of sadness and anger will not last forever. You will eventually come to terms with the ending of this relationship, and realize it will open many other doors for you. Now is the time to focus on yourself and try to have a positive outlook on your newfound freedom. It’s okay to be sad, but don’t let the sadness consume you!

HCBU Director of Public Relations/Writer
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.