A Breakdown of Taylor Swift’s New Song, “Gorgeous”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When Taylor Swift was unveiled to be a “snake” by Kim Kardashian and released the first two singles from her upcoming album, “reputation,” many fans, including myself, were skeptical as to what her newest album would hold. Then “Gorgeous” happened. “Gorgeous” is a classic example of Taylor falling back on what we all know she’s good at. Let’s break the song down.

In summary, “Gorgeous” is simply about seeing an attractive stranger and not being able to say anything to them because they are so… wait for it… gorgeous. 

The song starts with a toddler saying, “Gorgeous.” This has been rumored to be Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’s daughter James or a toddler Taylor herself. Interestingly enough, Kanye’s “Ultralight Beam” also begins with a child speaking, so could this be another attempt of trying shade him?

The next lyric that I find intriguing is: “That I got drunk and made fun of the way you talk.” This is the first time Taylor has explicitly sung about drinking/being drunk. I see this as her indicating again (did you see the “Look What You Made Me Do” music video?) that she could care less about what anyone thinks about her and her previously “wholesome” image.

The next line that sparks my interest is: “I’ve got a boyfriend, he’s older than us. He’s in the club doing I don’t know what.” Okay, so this line is obviously about Calvin Harris. That leads us to believe that this song is about Taylor’s current boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. 

Finally, the best lyric in this song is without a doubt the following: “Ocean blue eyes, looking in mine/I feel like I might sink and drown and die.” Now, this obviously cannot be compared to the lyrical genius of songs like “All Too Well,” “Last Kiss,” and “Dear John” but (not to be dramatic) this is the old dramatic Taylor Swift we all know and love!!!

“Gorgeous” is, without a doubt, the best single from “reputation” so far. It gives us hope for the album as a whole. I can’t wait to see what happens.

“reputation” drops November 10th — get ready.

Elena is a junior at Boston University studying Film and Television and Journalism.  She likes her shows created by HBO or Shonda Rhimes and possesses an undying love for the New England Patriots.     
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.