Boston’s Best Restaurants When You Miss Home-Cooked Meals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Now that we’ve all settled into our dorms for the school year, reunited with our friends, and received a fair share of homework, the time has come when that sickening feeling you just can’t shake will stop by for a visit: homesickness. As great as BU’s dining halls are, nothing compares to those home-cooked meals you’d been enjoying all summer long. For those days when you’re really missing your favorite comfort food, here’s a list of restaurants in town that will fulfill your cravings:

1.     SoulFire BBQ

If SoulFire’s ambience and cool soul music isn’t enough to make you feel at home, then their fantastic barbeque platters surely will. From pulled pork, to brisket, SoulFire is the perfect place to fulfill your cravings for authentic Southern cuisine.

2.     El Pelon Taqueria

As a Southern California native, there’s nothing I miss more while on the East Coast than authentic Mexican food. El Pelon is a rare gem in a sea of Chipotles; the food is flavorful and you can never go wrong, no matter what you order.

3.     Roxy’s Grilled Cheese

Sometimes it’s the simple things that you miss most. Grilled cheeses are such simple sandwiches, yet it takes an artist (or parent) to really get it right. With their food trucks constantly rolling around town and a brick & mortar restaurant in Allston, Roxy’s Grilled Cheese makes getting a good grilled cheese easier than ever!

4.     Giacomo’s

No matter what anyone says, nothing can ever compare to your mom’s pasta. However, this restaurant in the North End can get pretty close. From the ever-present line out of the door, it’s no secret that when you’re craving mom’s pasta, you pay a visit to Giacomo’s.

5.     South Street Diner

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it’s also the home-cooked meal that we all miss the most. One bite is enough to get you hooked on South Street Diner’s mouth-watering breakfast, and anything you order will make your trek out to the Waterfront worthwhile.  

Academic Year: 2016Major: Public RelationsAstrological Sign: LibraEditorial team member, social media addict, and foodie.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis